December 8, 2014

Holiday Kids' Table Ideas

I'm sharing a kid-friendly holiday tablescape with you today.  Thanks to Halos for sponsoring this post so I can share more kid-friendly Christmas DIY projects! #HalosFun

This holiday season is a special one for our family because it's the first time since Kayla was an infant that we'll have my parents and all of my sisters under one roof.  When I think of the holiday season, some of my favorite memories involve the kids' table.  The kids' table is where the very silly and sometimes mischievous or "stevious" (as Kayla says) behavior amongst siblings and cousins happens.  It's where belly laughs and bonding happens.

Halos, Kid Friendly Tablescape, kids table ideas, holiday kids table


Quite frankly, I want back in at the kids' table. Is it too late?  I guess the next best thing is sharing a fun and easy idea for your own kids table that incorporates some cute toys, some healthy treats and a nice dose of open ended creative play.

Halos, Kid Friendly Tablescape, kids table ideas, holiday kids table

As I was shopping for stocking stuffers at Target the other day I realized that I was kind of breaking the rules of healthy(ish) eating in our home.  M&M's in a candy cane?  Of course!  A santa hat shaped cone of cotton candy?  Well I have to, right? A lollipop that makes your mouth look like Bumble from Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer when you suck on it?  I'll take a dozen!  After giving my shopping cart diabetes I forced myself over to the produce section to compensate.  With a bag of kale and a sack of Halos in hand I headed home.  And then, while chatting with Kayla and making a tassel garland I came up with this idea...

Halos, Kid Friendly Tablescape, kids table ideas, holiday kids table

I covered my table in kraft paper.  It's cheap and easy to clean up.  I happen to think it looks nice too.  I grabbed some festive looking twine and used a bamboo skewer to poke it through the little mandarins.  I strung six or seven of them together and used about 10-15 feet of twine so that there would be plenty of excess twine between them.

Halos, Kid Friendly Tablescape, kids table ideas, holiday kids table

Next, I simply spread them out on the table with no real logic.  I just moved them around slightly and left the twine as it fell.  It actually turned out looking nice and festive on its own.   Please don't obsess about placing things perfectly.  I pinky swear to you that I just tossed things on the table and went with it.  That's the point after all, for it to be easy and fun.  Not to make yourself (more) nuts.  What I love about this idea is it looks cute on the table and it gives kids access to a very nutritious snack while they wait for dinner during a holiday that we all know is filled with excess and not so awesome eating decisions.

Halos, Kid Friendly Tablescape, kids table ideas, holiday kids table

Then I added in a few other things.  One was this 3D cardboard Christmas tree that Kayla desperately wanted during a visit to Michael's.  Totally unnecessary, but festive.  Another was a little container of crayons that the kids could use to color on the kraft paper.  Buried at the bottom of the jar and serving double duty were two rolls of washi tape.  They lifted the crayons up so they were easy to grab and I figured that eventually the kids would discover the tape and have a ball with it.  Since Washi tape is easy to remove and not super sticky I don't care if they start taping it to the table, chairs or their own clothes.

Halos, Kid Friendly Tablescape, kids table ideas, holiday kids table

Last but not least, I broke out these really cute toys I've been saving for our Christmas Eve dinner.  If you've ever seen Hexbug products then you know what they are.  Every year, Target creates a few special gift cards that come with really amazing toys attached to them at no additional cost.  This year one of them is a Bullseye version of a Hexbug.  I scattered a few of those on the table for the kids to play with because when you put them on a plate, they wiggle around like crazy and kids just love them.  Since they come with tiny gift cards, I have hidden a few $5 gift cards (in low places) inside our tree to be discovered on Christmas.

Halos, Kid Friendly Tablescape, kids table ideas, holiday kids table

By this point, my table had caught the attention of one very curious small person.  One small person who could not wait to get her hands on it all.  Mission accomplished!  Please keep in mind that the ideas I've shown here are definitely for the age three and up crowd.  Tweak this as you see fit to the age of the guests at your kids table this year and have an awesome holiday with your family!  I Can't wait to share the photos from mine!

If you're thinking of creating a kid-friendly tablescape this holiday, you can pin the image below and it will be waiting for you when you're ready.

Halos, Kid Friendly Tablescape, kids table ideas, holiday kids table


Halos box
 Get your family excited about fresh food and activities they’ll love. Learn more about Wonderful Halos on Facebook or the HalosFun blog
Pin It button on image hover