November 6, 2014

Chicco KeyFit 30 - The Easy to Install Car Seat

Thanks to Chicco for sending me a KeyFit 30 car seat to review so I can share my thoughts with you. 

Even though Kayla is approaching six years old, the reality in our home is that I am the designated car seat installer, remover and adjuster.  My husband wants nothing to do with it.  I don't blame him. The thing about car seats is...they're a total pain.  In fact, with some of them it seems like it takes a degree in engineering to attempt to install them properly.  Which of course is scary since you're putting your most precious cargo in the world inside of them.  As a second time parent with a large age gap between my children I did what most parents probably do.  I went out and bought a car seat by the same manufacturer we had with Kayla.  Learn from my mistake.

Chicco KeyFit 30, Chicco KeyFit 30 review, Easy to install car seat

Keep in mind that since since I purchased our infant car seat with Kayla I've had a lot of years to familiarize myself with the world of car seats.  No, I'm not an expert and I don't claim to be but I noticed something when I went to go install the base in my car.

The latches that could be used with the latch system seemed cheap.  They were just hooks and you had to reach way into the seat crevice to manipulate them if you wanted to remove them from the anchors.  On top of that, it was very hard to adjust the base and tighten it to ensure a secure fit.  I immediately realized this would NOT do and started investigating better options.

Chicco KeyFit 30, Chicco KeyFit 30 review, Easy to install car seat

After looking at a lot of brands and styles I settled on the Chicco KeyFit 30.  Unlike most of the products I tend to share about, you probably have heard of this car seat.  It's not hard to find, brand new to the market or a hidden gem.  In fact, you'll find it staring back at you in the baby aisle of Target.

I personally think it's the best infant car seat I've seen so far this time around when you take a lot of  factors into account.  First things first, I really like the way the seat was initially set up for a newborn.   There was enough cushioning to keep Blake's head stable in the seat and no extra plush stuff that would hinder the car seat doing its job of truly keeping a tiny baby secure and in place.

Chicco KeyFit 30, Chicco KeyFit 30 review, Easy to install car seat

The huge selling point to me on the Chicco KeyFit 30 is really the base.  Installing, uninstalling and tightening the base is incredibly simple.  Which you don't realize is kind of a big deal until you actually go to put that sucker in your car or have to take it out in order to fit a giant piece of furniture in the car.

See the single strap in the middle of the base?  It allows you to very easily and EVENLY adjust how tight the straps are that secure the latches on the base.  All you have to do is pull.  To loosen things up so you can remove the base you simply lift the little orange flap.  I nearly did a face palm when I saw this because I was so MAD at myself for living with a pain in the butt seat prior to finding the KeyFit 30.

Chicco KeyFit 30, Chicco KeyFit 30 review, Easy to install car seat

When it comes to ensuring the base is at the proper angle in your car, I really appreciate the fact that the Chicco KeyFit 30 has an easy to read level on both sides of the base. By simply pushing on the orange buttons in the base I could adjust the angle in about 3 seconds, ensure that the base was tight and be ready to go.

Chicco KeyFit 30, Chicco KeyFit 30 review, Easy to install car seat

This car seat has gone everywhere with us and it's so comfortable that I felt it was incredibly unnecessary to buy a stroller with an infant cot option because I love being able to plop this seat right into a great stroller base and take Blake (who is already pushing 15 pounds) wherever I need.  He has napped poolside in it, successfully slept all the way to grandma's house in it and made about 437 trips to  Target in it.  Yes, he is totally my child.

As a mom who spends quite a bit of time investigating baby gear and looking for the truly great items it makes me so happy to be able to say that product which is very widely available and easily accessible is just plain great.  Chicco has also entered the convertible car seat arena and when we get to that stage I will seriously consider this brand after my experience with the KeyFit 30.
Pin It button on image hover