October 7, 2014

The First Few Weeks

How do I describe the first few weeks?  Amazing.  Overwhelming.  Ever so slightly terrifying.  Snuggly.  Incredibly sweet.  Exhausting.  It's been about 6 weeks since Blake entered our world.  I mean, it's been 5 weeks since we entered Blake's world.  There is nothing like a baby to take an otherwise fully functioning person and turn them into a homebound baby clutching couch potato.  Don't get me wrong, I've loved it.



There were a few things I forgot.  Like how slippery newborns are when you bathe them.  Thank goodness I remembered the first time I picked him up and no babies were actually dropped.  At first he was a skinny little thing.


But after getting out of our initial scary newborn weight loss he became a plump little baby pretty quickly.  Seriously, can you believe the difference between these two photos?  The first one is at two weeks and the second is at 6 weeks.  I swear I am not feeding him Krispy Kremes. Not directly at least...


What has been the biggest noticeable difference for me after having Blake versus after having Kayla is that I feel like I have support.  Craig is very present and willing to jump in and help.  It's amazing what a difference that makes.  The first time around I remember feeling bad every time Kayla cried.  Like I should have known why she was crying and how to make her happy.  But the reality was that she cried all the time and I didn't know.

With Blake I'm not going to pretend to be that mom who says "that's a hungry cry" in a matter of fact tone and moves right along.  I'm still going through my mental checklist of what could be wrong.  Hungry?  Dirty diaper?  Exhausted and having that grumpy fit before passing out?  I don't think I'll ever be that mom who JUST KNOWS.  However, I'm willing to place cold hard cash on the fact that those who say things like that have never had a colic/reflux baby before.


The good news is that I think the universe has thrown Craig and I a bone.   Blake really only does seem to cry when he's got one of the three aforementioned situations going on.  Crying with a purpose.  Something I would have traded my left arm for with Kayla.  In fact, he's starting to smile.  Apparently he really likes to smile.


I felt so lucky to capture one of his very first smiles.  It was given to Craig after doing a double shift on night duty. YES, my husband has been doing night duty. My number one regret from Kayla's first year is never asking for help.  I was up SO many times a night, every night for almost the first year.  I stopped feeling human.  It's amazing how much sleep deprivation affects you as a person.  25 year old me wanted to say I could do it all.  I could not.  31 year old me knows better and is not afraid to admit it.  SO I guess if nothing else, that has been the biggest lesson of the first few weeks.  Help is good.  Smiling babies are even better.


Pin It button on image hover