October 7, 2014

The Best Mermaid Costume - Chasing Fireflies

Want the best mermaid costume?  Chasing Fireflies sent us a super high quality mermaid costume for Halloween this year and Kayla loved it! #ChasingTreats2014

It's that time of year again.  The great Halloween costume debate.  This year the struggle was real as Kayla flipped through the pages of the Chasing Fireflies catalogs that (I kid you not) she hides in her bed so she can try to read them with a flashlight at night.  There is a part of me that finds this to be adorable, so I pretend not to notice unless we're really pushing the limits on bedtime.  With FROZEN mania still in full effect I was certain she would only have eyes for Elsa, but she surprised me.  Always keeping mom on her toes.  Well played.

Chasing Fireflies Mermaid Costume, #ChasingTreats2014, The best mermaid costume

After last years cotton candy costume, Kayla found herself debating between the very sweet candy princess and the very authentic mermaid costume.  I think you know which one won.  See, the thing is that last year I was feeling crafty and came up with a couple of really cute DIY costume ideas like a cupcake and some mermaid leggings.  This year, I. Just. Can't.  With an 8 week old baby eating up every millisecond of my non-working time I knew that we were going store bought.

Chasing Fireflies Mermaid Costume, #ChasingTreats2014, The best mermaid costume

I don't know about you, but I have a near allergic reaction to the cheaply made costumes you see littering the shelves of the big box stores this time of year.  Let's be honest, they're basically disposable and you're lucky if they survive the class parties and make it to actual trick-or-treating. If you're looking for one time use, I get it.   And then, there is this costume.  The second you pick it up, you can feel the quality difference.  The details aren't drawn on with glitter, they're sewn on with sequins.  The fabric is thicker and you don't get that "don't run in your costume or surely it will split in two" panic that comes with your average mermaid in a bag costume.

Chasing Fireflies Mermaid Costume, #ChasingTreats2014, The best mermaid costume

But most importantly?  It was jaw dropping to little miss Kayla.  She could instantly tell that this costume was different and she let me know it.  "MOM I look like a REAL mermaid!" This was before I even showed her the very fancy mermaid cape. Nothing cramps a mermaid's style like being told they need to put a long sleeve shirt under or a sweater over their costume.

Chasing Fireflies Mermaid Costume, #ChasingTreats2014, The best mermaid costume

Nothing is worse than having to be that mom all night on Halloween nagging your kid to put their sweatshirt on and threatening to end the sugar rush early over it so I was very grateful that Chasing Fireflies thought to send it our way.   And it's like they read my mind because this mermaid tiara is the perfect accessory to disguise the fact that my wonderful child decided to give herself a little haircut while Craig was away on a business trip.  Yep.  That totally happened.  We now have long bangs that I won't cut more because then it will take even longer to grow in.  So each morning we debate about how I can pull it back.  I never thought to offer a tiara.  Note to self - a tiara is the answer to almost anything when it comes to 5 year old girls.

Chasing Fireflies Mermaid Costume, #ChasingTreats2014, The best mermaid costume

If you loved this costume and want to save it as a possibility for Halloween or even a fun themed party you can pin the image below and it will be ready when you are!

Chasing Fireflies Mermaid Costume, #ChasingTreats2014, The best mermaid costume

Pin It button on image hover