October 14, 2014

Princess Reward System - A Princess Makeover For Behavior

I created my easy princess reward system as a great way to give a princess makeover for behavior as part of a sponsored post for #CollectiveBias This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.  #DisneyBeauties

Lately I've noticed a trend.  Kayla is often student of the day at school.  Awesome.  Before you think I'm that mom gloating about her too good to be true child, let's talk about what's going on at home.  Yes, at home Kayla has been a surprisingly great big sister to Blake.  A-W-E-S-O-M-E.  However, she is really testing the limits at home with some other behavior.  Like using a tone I'm fairly certain she does not use at school.  And let's not forget the bedroom that is three times as big as Blake's and eleven times as messy.  So out of the desire desperation to get things back on track with Kayla I created this easy princess reward system.

Mommy Testers, Princess reward system, easy reward system, DIY princess reward chart, #DisneyBeauties  #Shop

I'm sure this concept has been around forever and I'd be lying if I said it just came to me out of nowhere.  It didn't.  In fact, it's a nice copycat of a system her kindergarten teacher is already using in class, only with a princess twist.  At back to school night, Kayla's teacher shared how she puts a marble in a jar when the class does something great. If they aren't listening or breaking classroom rules she takes one away.  When they get to 100 marbles in their jar the whole class gets a surprise reward.  I was amazed to see just how much this system excited Kayla.  So obviously I had to give it a try at home.

Mommy Testers, Princess reward system, easy reward system, DIY princess reward chart, #DisneyBeauties  #Shop

First, the really fun part.  I told Kayla we were giving out at home behavior a princess makeover and took her to Walmart and let her pick out the prizes.  There were Magiclip dolls, Disney Princess ponies and her personal favorite, a Little Mermaid LEGO set.  We also grabbed Disney Princess snack containers for healthy snacks and the just released Sleeping Beauty Diamond Edition DVD.

Mommy Testers, Princess reward system, easy reward system, DIY princess reward chart, #DisneyBeauties  #Shop

Back at home I let her sit in the "royal chair" to watch Sleeping Beauty while I got to work.  Okay, so maybe our royal chair is really the chair from Blake's Nursery, but work with me here!  While doing a late night feeding with Blake I had thought of using jewels instead of marbles for this princess reward system and assumed that I would have to go to some fancy specialty store to find them.  Wrong.  I was literally in shock when I found EXACTLY what I needed on the shelf in Walmart.  These bags of vase filler were less than $5 and just perfect!  

Mommy Testers, Princess reward system, easy reward system, DIY princess reward chart, #DisneyBeauties  #Shop

I needed a place to store the jewels that were to be earned and one for Kayla to collect her newly acquired treasures.  I used a decorative candle holder and a mason jar for the jewels and they seemed just right.  The concept would be that when Kayla did one of the behaviors on a list that was clearly marked for her to see, she'd get a jewel, positive reinforcement.  If she spoke in a rude tone (which has been my biggest battle lately) then she'd have to give one back and be one jewel farther from getting to her prize.

Mommy Testers, Princess reward system, easy reward system, DIY princess reward chart, #DisneyBeauties  #Shop

Here is a list of some "princess like behavior" that Craig and I came up with.  Honestly, I don't know too many princesses that put their own laundry away, but you've got to leverage those princesses as best you can!  My short list included getting dressed for school and brushing her own hair in the morning without me having to ask six times...or even two.  Making sure her room is clean before dinner and setting the table went on there too, along with trying a new food.  I wasn't sure how this would go over, but I figured that listing it would motivate her to want to try some new things.  On day two she tried cous cous, so I guess it wasn't a bad idea.

Mommy Testers, Princess reward system, easy reward system, DIY princess reward chart, #DisneyBeauties  #Shop

Seriously, what little girl wouldn't want to earn big sparkly jewels for exhibiting princess like behavior?  To make earning a prize attainable I decided that Kayla would need 20 jewels to get the first prize and 30 the next time around and so on. 


Mommy Testers, Princess reward system, easy reward system, DIY princess reward chart, #DisneyBeauties  #Shop

Eventually you don't want to be doling out rewards for behavior that should become routine, so I thought increasing the number of jewels she would need to earn each time around made sense.  We did something similar with potty training a few years back with fantastic results.  After some movie watching I let little miss push her cart around and inspect the treasures she's very excited to earn.  Yes, I totally dangled the carrot a bit.  However, it got her all kinds of excited about earning these rewards.  Desired effect achieved.

Mommy Testers, Princess reward system, easy reward system, DIY princess reward chart, #DisneyBeauties  #Shop

 We're about a week into this new system and Kayla is halfway to her first prize.  She only gets a jewel if she does the things on the list without me asking or if it happens the first time that I do ask.  I have definitely taken away a few jewels due to her speaking with a less than satisfactory tone, but I see that decreasing while her desire to do things like set the table and make sure her room is clean are increasing.  So far I'll call it a success!

Mommy Testers, Princess reward system, easy reward system, DIY princess reward chart, #DisneyBeauties  #Shop


If you'd like to try creating a similar reward system at home you can pin the image below to save this idea and it will be ready when you are! 


Mommy Testers, Princess reward system, easy reward system, DIY princess reward chart, #DisneyBeauties  #Shop

And of course, all of the fun princess items Kayla and I shopped for can be found in the Disney Princess section at Walmart.  You can pick up the Sleeping Beauty Diamond Edition DVD in the electronics section as well.

Walmart princess section #DisneyBeauties #shop

Pin It button on image hover