October 26, 2014

Joovy Moon Room - A Playard for those with Pets and Older Siblings

We received the Joovy Moon Room to review as part of the #JoovyMom program.  

When you live with two gigantic furry, lickey dogs and a five year old who is the definition of a close talker, you need an escape.  I'm not going to lie, prior to having Blake I sought refuge in the water closet of our master bathroom.  Curled up on the floor with a cup of coffee and an Us Weekly that was at least three weeks old I was in paradise.  ALONE.  Baby Blake is a simple guy with simple needs.  Feed me, change me, protect me from the well intentioned insanity that is this home until I can defend myself.  Therefore, it was evident from day 1 that little man would need a place to call his own.

joovy moon room, joovy moon room review, the best big playard


When I first laid eyes on the Joovy Moon Room it took my back to my own childhood.  When I was the extremely loving, but maybe not so gentle big sister.  My younger sisters had a big playard that I'll never forget.  To this day I'm not sure if it was meant to keep them in or me out.  Probably both.  It was light blue, covered in an ugly pattern that someone had determined said "baby" and just a big old square.

joovy moon room, joovy moon room review, the best big playard

As you can tell, the Moon Room highlights how much baby gear has evolved over time.  Gone are the pastel prints and in their place is a sleek design that actually feels kind of LEM (lunar excursion module) inspired.  The fabric is super durable mesh and 600 denier nylon.  I may or may not have studied textiles in college and that means the black fabric you see on our Moon Room is very strong and could be used in luggage.

joovy moon room, joovy moon room review, the best big playard

Assembly was quick. I popped up the side rails and pushed down the center then added the included mattress and fitted sheet.  I like that Joovy provides you with a thick cotton fitted sheet since most companies seem to charge for them and they're made of some sort of plasticy blend.

joovy moon room, joovy moon room review, the best big playard

And that was it.  We were in business and Blake had a place to call his own.  Meanwhile, Kayla was doing what little kids do and quickly amassing a collection of toys with small pieces outside of the Moon Room.  Since Blake is only two months old we haven't had to really worry about small pieces yet.  However, I'm fully freaked out about the future when he becomes mobile.  Perhaps the downfall to having kids so far apart in age is that we're already well into the world of toys with a million small pieces like Kayla's favorite LEGO sets.

joovy moon room, joovy moon room review, the best big playard

At least I have some peace of mind knowing that when we hit the point of mobility I'll have a safe place to put Blake so I can check the room for choking hazards, take that urgent off hour work phone call, etc.  For now I love having a place where he can simply be for a little bit and play undisturbed.  Since he isn't capable to rolling over or anything like that yet I've been letting him use his little Kick & Play Piano in the Moon Room since it's so spacious that there is still a lot of room on all sides.  It's his absolute favorite toy right now.

joovy moon room, joovy moon room review, the best big playard

Keep in mind that the Moon Room is larger than your average playard so with that and the heavier higher grade components used it is on the heavy side for a playard, but worth it for one that will accommodate your child for a long time since they won't outgrow it as quickly as the smaller ones. 

joovy moon room, joovy moon room review, the best big playard

And of course, right outside the Moon Room our crazy house is still in full swing.  The dogs who love to play together can do so without being any kind of a threat to a baby on the floor.  Charger who always wants to be close to Blake can still see him, smell him and play the protector waiting right outside keeping watch.   It's a little bit of reduced chaos in our crazy-I-wouldn't-change-it-for-the-world world.

joovy moon room, joovy moon room review, the best big playard

If you want to know more about the Joovy Moon Room, you can check out Joovy's website or follow them on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

You can find the Moon Room on the Joovy site as well as on Amazon and Buy Buy Baby.
Pin It button on image hover