October 1, 2014

DIY Pattern Block Bookends - Target Toy Emporium

I made my DIY Pattern Block Bookends with a great toy from the Target Toy Emporium. This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #TargetToys #CollectiveBias

I think it goes without saying that I am eternally excited about toys.  It is physically impossible for me to make a trip to Target without a stroll through the toy aisles.  Which is precisely why I did a double take on one of my recent trips to the mothership when I saw a few amazing brands on the shelf that have never been there before.  Think Hape, Mindware and Magna Tiles.  Yes, Target now has a new selection of high end toys in their Toy Emporium online.  So of course I had to bring some home. And of course that led to some DIY pattern block bookends.  Obviously.

Mommy Testers, DIY Pattern Block Bookends, Target Toy Emporium, Mindware Pattern Blocks, Pattern Block DIY, #TargetToys #shop


Mommy Testers, DIY Pattern Block Bookends, Target Toy Emporium, Mindware Pattern Blocks, Pattern Block DIY, #TargetToys #shop


 I've talked about Magna Tiles in the past and how I pretty much think they are the best toy ever.  But I wanted something a little bit new and different for Kayla.  She is very interested in anything related to art and design so when I saw these pattern blocks from Mindware, I knew they were just perfect.

Mommy Testers, DIY Pattern Block Bookends, Target Toy Emporium, Mindware Pattern Blocks, Pattern Block DIY, #TargetToys #shop

The pattern blocks came with tons of inspiring design cards that a child could replicate to explore and discover new ways of looking at shapes in a very visually appealing way.  In fact, I can see turning these cards into some DIY coasters, but one project at a time!  While in Target I also picked up a couple of these cork lined trays.  I liked how versatile they were and thought they might make the perfect frames for my bookends.

Mommy Testers, DIY Pattern Block Bookends, Target Toy Emporium, Mindware Pattern Blocks, Pattern Block DIY, #TargetToys #shop

I wanted to preserve the pattern blocks so that no matter what they could still be used for play or the pattern in the frame could be changed.  Rather than gluing the blocks in I chose to use some Elmer's glue spots.  They're very sticky and strong, yet you can still easily remove them without damaging the blocks.  

Mommy Testers, DIY Pattern Block Bookends, Target Toy Emporium, Mindware Pattern Blocks, Pattern Block DIY, #TargetToys #shop

I played around with a few different potential patterns before settling on this fairly simple rainbow for my rainbow loving child.  Using larger blocks created a nice weight so the bookends were sturdy enough to hold some fairly heavy books in place.

Mommy Testers, DIY Pattern Block Bookends, Target Toy Emporium, Mindware Pattern Blocks, Pattern Block DIY, #TargetToys #shop

And that was it.  I definitely spent more time playing around with the Mindware pattern blocks and making patterns (which apparently is fun for people ages 3 to 30 something) than I did actually assembling these DIY bookends.  At under $30 for a nice large set I think they're a great price for a quality wooden toy.  They're educational and get kids to think about spatial reasoning and how shapes can be composed of other shapes.  This is one of those timeless items that you can pull out for a 5 year old to enjoy and if left on a coffee table there is no doubt an adult or two will want to play with them at a holiday party.

If you're thinking about trying my DIY pattern block bookend idea just pin the image below and it will be waiting for you when you're ready!

Mommy Testers, DIY Pattern Block Bookends, Target Toy Emporium, Mindware Pattern Blocks, Pattern Block DIY, #TargetToys #shop


The toys from the Target Toy Emporium are available online but you may be able to find certain items in the store.  The nice thing about Target's site is it allows you to check your local store and see if they carry the product you are looking for in most cases.  If you do head to the store you'll find these in the toy section.




Pin It button on image hover