August 3, 2014

Finding Comfort During Pregnancy with ComforPedic iQ

Getting comfortable during pregnancy is tough, but thanks to Simmons for providing me with a complimentary ComforPedic iQ mattress  through Condé Nast #UpgradeYourSleep

There are several ways to get a death stare from a woman in her third trimester.  One is to ask her if she is having twins.  The only circumstance in which this is remotely okay is if you see her testing out a double stroller that holds two infant car seats.  Another is to ask her if she's feeling comfortable.  Unless she is receiving a back rub and a foot massage at that moment, the answer is almost certainly NO.

Mommy Testers, Simmons ComforPedic iQ, Comforpedic iQ mattress, ComforPedic iQ review, #UpgradeYourSleep

The end of pregnancy isn't exactly fun.  At 38+ weeks pregnant in August, I'm feeling less than "fun" as a person and doing just about anything I can to stay cool and comfortable while working like crazy to get as much done as I can before taking a (very) short maternity leave from work.  For me, back pain has been the worst thing about the last few weeks of pregnancy both times.  

Within an hour or two of sitting down at my desk I am in agony and go back and forth between my desk and bed to work.  Therefore, the bed being comfortable is a top priority.  Since it's summer, the cool, loosely woven cotton fabric of my favorite clover patterned bedding is a total blessing.  I've added extra firm pillows to the bed so I can use as many as needed to prop myself up and minimize the back pain while working.  

Mommy Testers, Simmons ComforPedic iQ, Comforpedic iQ mattress, ComforPedic iQ review, #UpgradeYourSleep

The saving grace for me both awake and sleeping has been this new Simmons Beauty Rest ComforPedic iQ mattress.  It's comfortable sitting up in bed when most of my ever increasing weight is put on my tailbone.   It also does an amazing job of conforming to your body when you lay down or shift during your sleep.  There's a lot of shifting these days, as you can imagine.  They call it Smart Response Technology.   I call it a watermelon smuggler's best friend.  Plus, it's pretty!  Okay, not exactly something that matters in choosing a mattress, but as someone who looks for aesthetics in life, it was kind of impossible to ignore it.

Mommy Testers, Simmons ComforPedic iQ, Comforpedic iQ mattress, ComforPedic iQ review, #UpgradeYourSleep

If you live in a warm climate like I do and you're interested in memory foam, then it's super important to seek out one that is specifically made to sleep cool.  We made the mistake of trying to do the cheap fix when memory foam mattress toppers first came out years back, only to find that suddenly our mattress was squishy and kind of hot.  Comfortable?  Not so much.  

The Comforpedic iQ has Ultra Cool memory foam to help regulate temperature.  Very important when there are two of you in the bed, plus the inevitable sixty pound dog who sneaks in at 2am thinking they will go unnoticed.  If it wasn't for this mattress I'm pretty sure I would be camped out on the couch each night in solitude, just trying to make it to 40 weeks without losing my mind. So close!


Mommy Testers, Simmons ComforPedic iQ, Comforpedic iQ mattress, ComforPedic iQ review, #UpgradeYourSleep

Other essentials in the room right now?  This end of the bed bench is key.  Especially when you realize that you are no longer able to put your pants on standing up.  Don't even get me started on shoes.  I am infinitely grateful that here in San Diego a pair of Tory Burch flip flops is acceptable attire just about anywhere. 

Mommy Testers, Simmons ComforPedic iQ, Comforpedic iQ mattress, ComforPedic iQ review, #UpgradeYourSleep

A nice big bedside table is extra convenient for books, water and an emergency stash of Tums.  Sadly,  no matter how comfortable you make your bedroom it won't prevent heartburn.  I love this table.  It looks like twisted branches and has a faux bois finish.  A few months back when I was obsessed with painting everything gray I lightly painted the top of this table and gave it a whole new life.  The way the paint seeps into the cracks and highlights the texture is awesome.  I consider it a Target Hack success.

Mommy Testers, Simmons ComforPedic iQ, Comforpedic iQ mattress, ComforPedic iQ review, #UpgradeYourSleep

And of course it's not like it's just ME hanging out in this big comfy bed.  Nope.  I've got company. As much as Kayla gives me a run for my money and her negotiating skills test my patience, she's been super sweet lately when it comes to certain things.  She's all too eager to deliver me fresh water and urge me to take some sips.  I even got breakfast in bed this week.  Of course it came with some story time strings attached though.  Certain things never change.  I believe she has a future in litigation.

In the next week or so, I expect this bed to have one more cuddly being in it and oh boy am I ready and yet completely not ready at the same time.  I can't wait for you to meet our new little guy super soon!
Pin It button on image hover