June 29, 2014

Blackout Box of FUN for Kids - Blackout Entertainment with Duracell

My Blackout Box of Fun for Kids with Duracell is a great distracting emergency kit for kids during a natural disaster. This shop has been compensated by #CollectiveBias, Inc.  and its advertiser.  All opinions are mine alone.  Obviously. #PrepWithPower

Just a few weeks back, I watched my husband roll his eyes at me as I mentioned I should really make sure my car had a full tank of gas and we had some basics like extra water and a couple of LED lanterns in the house.  Here in San Diego, there were wildfires in full swing and while where we live is usually not an area that is affected by them, you never know.  It just takes one genius with a cigarette butt after all.

Mommy Testers, blackout kit for kids, emergency kit for kids, Blackout Box of Fun for kids, Kids blackout ideas, #PrepWithPower, #shop

My paranoia stemmed partially from the fact that I come from a long line of paranoid freaks (though it tends to get better with each generation) and the fact that a few summers back the power grid went down here and left what I would describe as moderate chaos from San Diego to Orange County.  Long story short, I needed to drive to meet Craig in the OC and there was no way to avoid the trip.

Mommy Testers, blackout kit for kids, emergency kit for kids, Blackout Box of Fun for kids, Kids blackout ideas, #PrepWithPower, #shop

Our household was insanely unprepared for this as our only flashlight was a Tinkerbell one that belonged to Kayla.  Since my car was without much gas there was no way to get there since um, gas pumps don't work in blackouts.  A close friend handed over his insanely flashy too-nice-to-drive sports car and I set off with a 2 year old in the back to drive the 100 miles with no traffic signals. Gripping the steering wheel like a first time driver and just praying to make it there okay.

Mommy Testers, blackout kit for kids, emergency kit for kids, Blackout Box of Fun for kids, Kids blackout ideas, #PrepWithPower, #shop

Which is precisely why after that, I vowed not to let a repeat situation happen and to at least try to be prepared.  No, I don't have some crazy zombie apocalypse survival kit and never will.  You can call me a practical paranoid person.  Flashlights, lanterns, batteries and extra water have found their place in our home and it definitely gives me peace of mind.

Mommy Testers, blackout kit for kids, emergency kit for kids, Blackout Box of Fun for kids, Kids blackout ideas, #PrepWithPower, #shop

During our most recent blackout, which only lasted a few hours I realized that Kayla had a lot of questions and I turned into a virtual entertainer playing the old distraction game and pretending I wasn't worried myself.  That got me thinking that it would be nice for her to have a kit of her own for a blackout or other similar situation.  Something that made it seem like this was in fact a REALLY FUN SURPRISE and not something to be afraid of or a moment of uncertainty.

Mommy Testers, blackout kit for kids, emergency kit for kids, Blackout Box of Fun for kids, Kids blackout ideas, #PrepWithPower, #shop

So this Blackout Box of Fun was born.  The concept is simple and you don't need a fancy case like mine (though I did love this little suitcase.)   Adapt it to your child's current likes.  Don't hesitate to aim slightly higher in age than they currently are though because hopefully you won't need it for a while.


Mommy Testers, blackout kit for kids, emergency kit for kids, Blackout Box of Fun for kids, Kids blackout ideas, #PrepWithPower, #shop


Here's what was in mine:

 - Child sized battery operated LED lantern (why a lantern over a flashlight?  See below!)
 - Long lasting Duracell AA batteries
 - A new pack of crayons.  New is good.  New is exciting.
 - A basic white pad of paper
 - Some fun washi tape.  You can use it for games or crafts
 - Balloons. Easy to store and a million games you can create with them.
 - Play-Doh.  It pretty much never gets old in our home.  Kids just love it.
 - A mini LEGO set.  They get kids to focus, calm down and follow instructions.
 - A Special snack you wouldn't normally buy.  For us, that's colored Goldfish.  Rainbows make everything special.
 - Fun bandages.  Sometimes kids get dramatic and just need some reassurance.  My child is a fake boo-boo finder.  So when I saw these crazy cute fuzzy bandages I knew I had to toss a couple in.


Mommy Testers, blackout kit for kids, emergency kit for kids, Blackout Box of Fun for kids, Kids blackout ideas, #PrepWithPower, #shop

I thought about including a child's flashlight, but while flashlights are fun for playing shadow puppets, I think lanterns are way better for hands free fun.  The Durcaell Copper Top batteries in Kayla's lantern are guaranteed fresh for 10 years  so you can get the maximum power out of them when you need them.  This little LED lantern should get about 50 hours of light from 4AA batteries which seems pretty great considering how bright it is.

Mommy Testers, blackout kit for kids, emergency kit for kids, Blackout Box of Fun for kids, Kids blackout ideas, #PrepWithPower, #shop

Someone was all too excited to get her hands on the lantern in this box.  No, there wasn't a real blackout, but my theory that drawing and playing in the dark can be really fun when presented properly seems to hold water.  I know because I wasn't allowed to turn the lights back on for the rest of the night.  And I'm not going to lie, I kind of thought it was fun too!

Like this idea and want to make your own Blackout kit for kids?  Pin the image below and it'll be waiting for you when you're ready to create your own.

Mommy Testers, blackout kit for kids, emergency kit for kids, Blackout Box of Fun for kids, Kids blackout ideas, #PrepWithPower, #shop


And just so you know, you can find those batteries in the electronics section at your local Walmart.

batteries at walmart #Prepwithpower #shop

Pin It button on image hover