May 9, 2014

Organic Yogurt People Bites - A Healthy Frozen Dessert for Kids

I participated in a Blogger Activation on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Stonyfield.  I received coupons to facilitate my shopping trip and a promotional item to thank me for participating.  

Last week we had a total heat wave here in San Diego with temperatures reaching into the 90's.  At the beginning of May.  Say what?  Which of course got me thinking about frozen treats as Kayla was begging for ice cream.  During the summer last year I bought some little one bite ice cream cones, but this year I wanted something a little bit healthier. Which is exactly where these Yogurt People Bites came from. 

Mommy Testers, Stonyfield organic yogurt pouches, Organic yogurt bites, Healthy frozen dessert for kids



Yogurt, especially in the frozen form is such an easy swap for ice cream and for most kids, it's all about just scoring a frozen treat, forget what the actual treat is.  It's also a product that I will only buy an organic version of for Kayla.  I see this all of the time where parents will buy organic milk, but then conventional butter, cheese and yogurt.  Call me crazy, but since these are basically more concentrated versions of milk products the logical conclusion would be that they would contain even more of the things you don't want your child to have if you don't buy organic.

Mommy Testers, Stonyfield organic yogurt pouches, Organic yogurt bites, Healthy frozen dessert for kids

So I used the new Stonyfield's new organic yogurt pouches to make these little yogurt bites.  We've been Stonyfield buyers for years, but I was excited to see these because they're the first refrigerated organic yogurt pouch and don't contain things like high fructose corn syrup or artificial flavors.  Thank goodness.  The pouches are obviously convenient for small children to self serve without an epic mess and I love that if you choose to get creative with them, they kind of serve as little piping bags like how you would use frosting.

Mommy Testers, Stonyfield organic yogurt pouches, Organic yogurt bites, Healthy frozen dessert for kids

To make these little organic yogurt bites I just squeezed out some yogurt from the Stonyfield organic yogurt pouches and filled pink sparkle spoons with it.  Seriously, find me a little girl who would turn down a pink sparkle spoon.  I dare you.  I put the spoons in the freezer for a few minutes to let the yogurt start to freeze and then came back to drop a few blueberries in.

Obviously you can use any kind of yogurt and fruit combination.  Stonyfield makes these pouches in YoBaby, YoToddler and YoKid variations for different ages.  I actually grabbed some of the YoToddler ones since I thought they had some neat flavors that might sneak some new vegetables into Kayla's diet -  like Strawberry-Beet-Berry, which I used for these yogurt people bites.

Mommy Testers, Stonyfield organic yogurt pouches, Organic yogurt bites, Healthy frozen dessert for kids

After I dropped the blueberries in (which made for some silly looking faces) I stuck the spoons back in the freezer to let them harden completely.  The next step is totally unnecessary, but ups the cuteness factor. I happened to have a roll of washi tape on my kitchen counter from an earlier crafting mess...yep. So I cut out a little bow tie and stuck it on the spoon to give it that "mini man" vibe.  

Mommy Testers, Stonyfield organic yogurt pouches, Organic yogurt bites, Healthy frozen dessert for kids

That was it!  I think these treats took all of 3 minutes of hands on time and about an hour or two to freeze.  As we get into summer BBQ season I have no doubt that I'll be whipping up a bunch of these little guys to put out for visiting children as a fun snack or healthy dessert.  They're cute, filled with kid friendly flavors and they are guilt free for me since I know I'm serving my child real food that's good for instead of total junk.

If you want to find out more about the new Stonyfield organic yogurt pouches you can check them out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest.

Pin It button on image hover