May 14, 2014

How to Make Easy Fabric Covered Letters for Your Nursery

I'm showing you how to make your own easy fabric covered wall letters which are perfect kids decor.  Thanks to Aden + Anais for sending some swaddle blankets my way to use for this project.  

A while back I mentioned that I was having a little love affair with some of the prints from Aden + Anais.  I still am.  In fact, I think it's become a big love affair.  But I'm not huge on nurseries with a strict theme. Which is why making some DIY fabric nursery letters using their subtle yet adorable prints seemed like a no brainer.  Want to know how to make your own fabric letters?  I'll show you how!

Mommy Testers, How to make fabric covered letters, how to make fabric wall letters, easy fabric covered letters, DIY nursery letters, Fabric letters using swaddle blanket, Aden and Anais up up and away,

I started with some high quality kraft letters.  I have on a rare occasion seen the odd letter hanging out in the dollar section at Target, but good luck trying to spell anything using what's available.  So I used the smaller sized kraft letters from Land Of Nod, which go for about $4 a piece.   They have holes in the back for hanging and basically, they're worth the bargain price considering where they came from.  Now excuse me while I ogle this bedding for Kayla.  

Mommy Testers, How to make fabric covered letters, how to make fabric wall letters, easy fabric covered letters, DIY nursery letters, Fabric letters using swaddle blanket, Aden and Anais up up and away,

I picked up some batting to make the letters fluffy and plush and then found myself having a Sophie's Choice moment trying to decide which of the super cute Up, Up & Away swaddles from Aden + Anais to cut up.  Call me a wimp because I could not bring myself to use the one below with elephants and star balloons as it had been my original nursery inspiration and I just love it.

Mommy Testers, How to make fabric covered letters, how to make fabric wall letters, easy fabric covered letters, DIY nursery letters, Fabric letters using swaddle blanket, Aden and Anais up up and away,

I cut pieces of the batting, being sure to leave plenty of excess around the letters.  Remember this - if you're working with letters that have cutouts or empty centers make sure you pull the batting through those crevices or holes a bit before cutting around the edges.  Ultimately, you'll want to glue the batting around the letters so it covers the entire front surface and the sides of the letter, leaving only the back exposed.

Mommy Testers, How to make fabric covered letters, how to make fabric wall letters, easy fabric covered letters, DIY nursery letters, Fabric letters using swaddle blanket, Aden and Anais up up and away,

Once you've cut the batting to size, you'll want to hot glue it on to the kraft letter.  In order to do this without burning your little fingers off, trust me when I say that you need to make sure you have something to press the batting against the freshly applied glue with.  I simply used the handle of my scissors to do this.  If you want something very disposable you can use takeout chopsticks, a plastic spoon, whatever you've got.  At this point you're halfway done with your DIY fabric covered letters!

Mommy Testers, How to make fabric covered letters, how to make fabric wall letters, easy fabric covered letters, DIY nursery letters, Fabric letters using swaddle blanket, Aden and Anais up up and away,

Next you'll cut your swaddle blanket (insert tears here) similar to how you did the batting.  To spell out the word "snooze" which is precisely what I want this baby to do.  I only used one Aden + Anais swaddle blanket for my DIY fabric wall letters.  They are generously sized so it's nice that you can get so many letters out of a single blanket.

Mommy Testers, How to make fabric covered letters, how to make fabric wall letters, easy fabric covered letters, DIY nursery letters, Fabric letters using swaddle blanket, Aden and Anais up up and away,

I hot glued the fabric over the batting and pulled it to make it fairly tight.  Then I trimmed most of the excess fabric that remained.  If the edges look ragged like mine do, don't worry.  Flip the letter over and see how it looks.  If you don't have frayed ends popping out, then you're good to go.  Nobody is going to see this except the wall.  Pinky swear.

Mommy Testers, How to make fabric covered letters, how to make fabric wall letters, easy fabric covered letters, DIY nursery letters, Fabric letters using swaddle blanket, Aden and Anais up up and away,

Once I was done I hung my letters over the crib.  Since they are kraft letters and therefore very lightweight compared to wood or metal, they seem over the crib appropriate in Southern California where apparently earthquakes do happen.  Plus with the batting and blanket covering they are downright padded and smushy versus other decor so they pass my paranoid mommy test.  Which is difficult.

And now I have some super cute custom fabric covered letters for this baby's nursery that echo the bedding I chose and look cute without breaking the bank.  Think you might want to make your own?  Pin the image below and you'll know how to make easy fabric covered letters when you're ready!  Until then, check out the full lineup of Aden + Anais prints.

Mommy Testers, How to make fabric covered letters, how to make fabric wall letters, easy fabric covered letters, DIY nursery letters, Fabric letters using swaddle blanket, Aden and Anais up up and away,

Pin It button on image hover