May 28, 2014

Father's Day Gift For New Dads - New Dad Command Center

This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Commando Dad. I created a New Dad Command Center as new dad gift for Father's day. 

Tracking Pixel
Five and a half years ago Craig suffered from anaphylactic shock and almost didn't make it. Okay, I exaggerated. Slightly.  However, he basically did have what felt like a life threatening reaction to what would be harmless to most.  You know, a new baby.  Seven pounds and eleven ounces of sheer terror named Kayla.
Mommy Testers, New Dad Father's Day Gift, New Dad command center, new dad gift, commando dad, diaper caddy gift


I can't say that I blame the man.  As much as he knew he wanted kids he wasn't 100% ready to be a dad. Then when Kayla turned out to be a pretty unhappy, not so healthy baby it didn't help matters at all.  So truth be told I sort of took over most duties regarding Kayla that first year because I felt dealing with her pretty much freaked him out and stressed him out and in turn made me feel bad.  Basically, it was easier to just do it myself.

By taking the approach I took I didn't empower Craig to be the awesome dad he could be from the get go.  It's one of the few regrets I have in life.  BUT I feel grateful that he's getting a second chance at fatherhood with baby #2.  So with Father's Day coming I thought it might be nice to hook a brother up with a book on baby care that would neither bore him to death nor make him feel inadequate.   Enter Commando Dad.  Consider it basic training for new dads to be with a sense of humor and a military twist.  Since Craig is all high on life after Tough Mudder I thought this might be up his alley.

Mommy Testers, New Dad Father's Day Gift, New Dad command center, new dad gift, commando dad, diaper caddy gift

Since it's written by a Commando from the British armed forces there are anecdotes throughout that call for a laugh along with clever tidbits of information that men need to know.  Like talking bomb (dirty diaper) disposal and that breastmilk should be swirled and not shaken.

Along with this chronicle of new dad wisdom I figured why not make him a New Dad Command Center gift.  Okay, you've got me.  Yes, it's a diaper caddy filled with stuff I would want him to use rather than stuff he'd pick out at the store (read: bargain brand, chemical filled junk) but hey now, I'm a control freak trying to give up control.

Mommy Testers, New Dad Father's Day Gift, New Dad command center, new dad gift, commando dad, diaper caddy gift

Commando Dad has a nice section on a basic survival kit that lists the essentials.  I was pleasantly surprised to see how much my mental list matched the author, Neil Sinclair's.  My new dad command center gift has the basics of diapers, wipes, diaper cream, a spare outfit and a swaddle.  It also packs convenient bags for unexpected blowout cleanup and said "bomb disposal."  There is a toy for emergency distraction and a pacifier on a clever clip should be so lucky that this baby actually takes a pacifier.

My hope is that this gift and this funny, yet practical book will empower Craig to be a super dad from the beginning.  You know, that paired with me keeping my control freak personality in check and stepping back and letting him take ownership.  It took a while with Kayla, but I have to say that these days he's pretty much the most amazing dad ever to her.


Know someone who could use their own copy of Commando Dad?  Just leave a comment letting me know what your best new dad "survival tip" is between 5/26 and 6/6  and I'll pick a winner on June 6th to receive Commando Dad in their mailbox!  You must be 18 or older and reside in the US to win.

This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Commando Dad.
Pin It button on image hover