May 29, 2014

DIY Tooth Brushing Success Garland

This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Orajel Kids. Want a unique tooth brushing reward chart?  Make my DIY Tooth brushing success garland.  I'll show you how below. #Smilestones

Tracking Pixel
Tooth brushing. Dun dun dun.  If you have a child who is technically old enough to brush without physical assistance, but young enough that they cut corners this post is for you!  We fall into this dreaded gray area of tooth brushing and it's become one of our most irritating family debates.  So this week I got a little crafty and created a tooth brushing chart with a twist.  Hello Tooth Brushing Success Garland!

Mommy Testers, Tooth brushing reward chart, Tooth brushing success garland, DIY Tooth Brushing chart, Orajel Kids, #Smilestones



Yes, I wish that the simple threat of cavities and time outs resonated with my child.  They do to an extent, but I've found she does much better with positive reinforcement and motivation.  So first things first.  A new toothbrush.

Mommy Testers, Tooth brushing reward chart, Tooth brushing success garland, DIY Tooth Brushing chart, Orajel Kids, #Smilestones

Orajel sent Kayla a new toothbrush and some new "big kid" Orajel Kids toothpaste featuring the Bubble Guppies.  Like they knew I had a mermaid fanatic on my hands.  There were also some goodies for our pending August arrival, but more on that later.  It's ALL about Kayla right now.

It's amazing what a new toothbrush does to a child's psyche.  I wish I could get as excited about a new toothbrush as Kayla does.  Maybe Tory Burch will start making toothbrushes...I could totally get excited about that.

Mommy Testers, Tooth brushing reward chart, Tooth brushing success garland, DIY Tooth Brushing chart, Orajel Kids, #Smilestones

Kayla was quite pleased.  She liked the wavy handle that fit well in her hand.  And of course the mermaids. I liked the fact that we weren't arguing about tooth brushing.  Yessssssssss!  I was about to try to break out the ruler and make one of those standard reward charts with the boxes when I had a lightbulb moment while putting away some newly purchased party supplies.

This bunting kind of looked like little teeth.  Or maybe I just really had tooth brushing on the brain.  Regardless, I grabbed a pair of scissors and started rounding off some of those little flags.  Yes, they very quickly became teeth.

Mommy Testers, Tooth brushing reward chart, Tooth brushing success garland, DIY Tooth Brushing chart, Orajel Kids, #Smilestones

Kayla who is always curious about what I'm up to came by and said "HEY, are those teeth?"So for one quick second I felt kinda cool.  Then I presented her with the tooth garland and explained how we'd use it.

Mommy Testers, Tooth brushing reward chart, Tooth brushing success garland, DIY Tooth Brushing chart, Orajel Kids, #Smilestones

For every time that she did a good job brushing (according to mom or dad) we'd draw a smiley face on one of the teeth.  When they were all filled with smiles, she'd get a prize like this glittery tooth fairy wand.  Don't tell anyone, but that "tooth fairy wand" is just a foam wand from the Target party section I picked up for $1.  I have no doubt that when she earns that wand there will be a giant smile on Kayla's face.

Mommy Testers, Tooth brushing reward chart, Tooth brushing success garland, DIY Tooth Brushing chart, Orajel Kids, #Smilestones

Do you have a special smiley moment to share?  A Smilestone if you will?   Share it here for a chance to win a fun family trip for four to Beaches Resorts sponsored by Orajel Kids!

Think you might want to make a Tooth Brushing Success Garland of your own?  Pin the image below and you'll have it saved for when you're ready.

Mommy Testers, Tooth brushing reward chart, Tooth brushing success garland, DIY Tooth Brushing chart, Orajel Kids, #Smilestones

This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Orajel Kids.
Pin It button on image hover