May 15, 2014

DIY Kids Birthday Photo Shoot with Number Balloon

I'm showing you how to do a DIY kids birthday photo shoot with a giant number balloon. Thanks to Step2 and Birthday Express for sending supplies to facilitate this cute setup my way! 

If you've been doing this parenting for a minute or two chances are you've seen some of those adorable, creative birthday invitations that magically make their way into your mailbox. And you're probably thinking awww cute, but nope, I can't do that.  I'm here to say YES YOU CAN. All it takes is a really cute kid (which you probably have if you read this site) a little bit of creativity and a camera.

Mommy Testers, birthday photo shoot, second birthday photo shoot, number balloon photo shoot, Step2 Crayon Rider, Birthday Express

One of the perks of being a Step2 ambassador is that I get little sneak peaks at toys before they hit the shelves.  When I saw this new Crayon Rider I knew I needed to take pictures of it.  Who cares that my child is so large her knees are up to her ears on it?

Mommy Testers, birthday photo shoot, second birthday photo shoot, number balloon photo shoot, Step2 Crayon Rider, Birthday Express

The first thing that entered my mind was "birthday photo shoot."  Mmmkay crazypants.  But if you're like me then once you get an idea in your head it's all over.  Craig has learned to just sit back, roll those eyes and say nothing.  Smart man.

Mommy Testers, birthday photo shoot, second birthday photo shoot, number balloon photo shoot, Step2 Crayon Rider, Birthday Express

So I did what any irrational person with a five year old and a baby bump does and borrowed an almost two year old.  An adorable almost two year old.  Who just so happens to belong to one of my amazing friends that has two kids under two and is still functioning as a human being.  I'm not quite sure how, but she is.

Mommy Testers, birthday photo shoot, second birthday photo shoot, number balloon photo shoot, Step2 Crayon Rider, Birthday Express

Okay, so once you have your child (that was easy, wasn't it?) you're going to want a cute photo prop like this Crayon Rider and I thought a big balloon would be fun.  After all, kids LOVE balloons and if they're holding a balloon odds are they will be entertained and amused for at least 3 minutes so you can snap a few photos.

Mommy Testers, birthday photo shoot, second birthday photo shoot, number balloon photo shoot, Step2 Crayon Rider, Birthday Express

For a birthday invite I thought a big balloon with the child's age would be fun and appropriate so I grabbed this giant number 2 balloon from Birthday Express.  I personally love ordering from them because the prices are reasonable and many of the items on the site ship with free 2 day shipping if you have a ShopRunner account. Psssst - they're free if you have an American Express card.

And because you know me and the crepe paper, I decided to use a couple of crepe paper colors which Birthday Express has plenty of to make a mini tassel for the balloon.  I alternated polka dot and regular crepe paper in contrasting colors.  It took just a few minutes to make and well, tassels just make things more fun!

Mommy Testers, birthday photo shoot, second birthday photo shoot, number balloon photo shoot, Step2 Crayon Rider, Birthday Express

I used baker's twine as string on the balloon and tied each tassel onto the twine so they would all stay in place.  Then I taped the end of the string (kept short for safety purposes) to the back of the Crayon Rider and we were ready to go.

Mommy Testers, birthday photo shoot, second birthday photo shoot, number balloon photo shoot, Step2 Crayon Rider, Birthday Express

So the tassel didn't stay attached to the back of the Crayon Rider for very long, but LOTS of fun was had with the balloon.  Might I add that it totally stood up to some very excited almost-two-year-old-hands much better than a latex balloon would - so definitely go with a mylar version if you can.  Let your kid go wild and snap away.  I'm pretty sure you'll wind up with some crazy cute candids that will get your message across with that big balloon in the background.

Want to make one just like mine?  You can grab the number balloon, polka dot crepe paper and Crayon Rider all for about $35.

Need to save this idea for later?  Just pin the image below and it will be ready when you are.

Mommy Testers, birthday photo shoot, second birthday photo shoot, number balloon photo shoot, Step2 Crayon Rider, Birthday Express

Pin It button on image hover