March 3, 2014

DIY Crayon & Sidewalk Chalk Flower Pots for Kids

I created my DIY art inspiring flower pots - an easy kids craft as part of a sponsored post for #CollectiveBias and their client.

Okay, so who here is totally ready for spring?  If you're like me then all things green, sunny and flowery are currently swirling around in your brain.  However, for many of my friends it seems that more snow, ice and yuck are on their way.  So I made these cute DIY crayon & sidewalk chalk flower pots for kids.  You can break out the fun and colorful feeling of spring when it's still snowing outside. I'll show you how!


Mommy Testers, DIY art supply flower pots for kids, kids flower pot craft, easy flower pot craft, flower pot party favor

I started with some basic inexpensive 6" flower pots from Walmart.  While I was there I also picked up crayons, sidewalk chalk, washable paint (since any paint that goes near a child should be washable!) and those cute plush flowers which were in the Easter section for less than a dollar!  Yeah, I was feeling all super savvy shopper-ish.  


Mommy Testers, DIY art supply flower pots for kids, kids flower pot craft, easy flower pot craft, flower pot party favor

Then at home I realized that genius girl forgot to buy paint brushes.  Oh.  BUT I quickly came up with a convenient and clever (if you ask me) solution to this.  After all, I had a giant box of crayons and the ends of those crayons are perfect little circles - which make perfect little dots when you use them as stamps.  


Mommy Testers, DIY art supply flower pots for kids, kids flower pot craft, easy flower pot craft, flower pot party favor

This is a super easy solution for kids who want their creation to turn out looking great, but don't have the fine motor skills to paint dots easily.  Also, I just might be one of those "kids" so yay for forced creative solution finding.


Mommy Testers, DIY art supply flower pots for kids, kids flower pot craft, easy flower pot craft, flower pot party favor

Obviously, you don't need to paint the pots, but once you are done with that, it's time to stuff them with art supplies.  I chose sidewalk chalk and crayons since they both have great indoor uses with minimal mess.  I know what you're thinking - sidewalk chalk is for...the sidewalk...the driveway...the great outdoors.  Sure it is, but it's also WAY better for small hands that don't understand gentle pressure.  If you've ever given a young child regular chalk, then you KNOW just how quickly those pieces go snap.

Mommy Testers, DIY art supply flower pots for kids, kids flower pot craft, easy flower pot craft, flower pot party favor

Here is where sidewalk chalk saves the day.  We use it on our chalkboard and we also have a kids table that I decided to use some really good chalkboard paint on last year.  It's the perfect substitute sidewalk for inclement weather or before school fun.

Mommy Testers, DIY art supply flower pots for kids, kids flower pot craft, easy flower pot craft, flower pot party favor

I found a huge box in Walmart for under $5.  Which means that when you calculate the cost on this project, you could totally make these as party favors or less than the typical bag-o-junk party favors cost.  Just sayin'.

I also used a sheet of green tissue paper in the flower pot to keep the layers separate and create a cute grassy feeling.  It's amazing what a little colored paper will do to up the colorful, fun factor.  Next I bent the stem on the plush flower a bit so it fit nicely in the pot without being too tall and I had a seriously cute looking flower pot.

Mommy Testers, DIY art supply flower pots for kids, kids flower pot craft, easy flower pot craft, flower pot party favor

If you want to get extra fancy you can add a neat chalkboard label to the pot.  I did simple because I thought it would be fun to put Kayla's name on it and have it waiting for her when she came home from a "very yucky extra rainy day" at school.  Desired squeeeeee effect accomplished!

Mommy Testers, DIY art supply flower pots for kids, kids flower pot craft, easy flower pot craft, flower pot party favor

Making my #colorfulcreations flower pot was super easy and it helped that I could grab everything I needed at Walmart in one quick shopping trip since they have a garden center too.  Do you have anything fun up your sleeve for almost-spring crafting?

Walmart Crayola display

Pin It button on image hover