March 26, 2014

Create Your Own Fragrance - Tijon Fragrance Lab

Thanks to Tijon Fragrance Lab in La Jolla for allowing me to check out their Mix and Match fragrance class.  I'm excited to share my experience with you!

You've heard me say it before, but I'll say it again.  I'm notoriously hard to buy for.  It drives my family and friends nuts because what I like tends to have lots of contradictions.  I'm girly, but practical and I usually think flowers are silly and joke about the guilt I have when my already dead plant really dies.

Mommy Testers, Tijon, Tijon fragrance lab, Tijon la jolla, make your own perfume class,



Jewelry is fun and something I'm passionate about, but having spent years behind the scenes I physically have a hard time paying retail for it or knowing someone I love did.  And clothes, oh clothes!  Well, anyone who knows me knows that if I like it, I'll buy it for myself.  That's right, I'm a pain.  The worst.   Which is why when my friend Danielle invited me along for an afternoon of fragrance mixology in La Jolla I hesitated for a moment but said yes.

Mommy Testers, Tijon, Tijon fragrance lab, Tijon la jolla, make your own perfume class,

I was curious.  Another one of my personality paradoxes - I'm fashionable and girly and don't own a single fragrance.  Probably because I'm both picky and scared of those makeup counters in department stores where people just want to spray you with stuff.  So I was actually very much looking forward to an afternoon of learning about perfume and creating my own at Tijon Fragrance Lab, which is conveniently located within my happy little bubble on Herschel Street in La Jolla.

Mommy Testers, Tijon, Tijon fragrance lab, Tijon la jolla, make your own perfume class,

Tijon Fragrance Lab is one of those incredibly polished and serene La Jolla stores...with a twist.  It's conveniently filled with giftable items that are perfect for a friend's birthday, Mother's Day or a hostess gift.  There are plenty of scents to choose from if you decide to go the premade route.  This one, Eclectique was one of my favorites because it seemed light, a tad tropical and not remotely close to flowery old lady scent.  I know, I'm so mature.  

Mommy Testers, Tijon, Tijon fragrance lab, Tijon la jolla, make your own perfume class,

If you decide to get experimental then I have to say that I had a great time at the Tijon Mix and Match class.  It's a class that's very hands on and allows you to learn a lot about fragrance making while experimenting with different oils and creating 3 options for your own fragrance.  

I happen to think it makes a great birthday activity to do with a friend.  Danielle and I have birthdays just a few days apart so we did our class on a Friday afternoon and it was the perfect way to kick off the weekend.  And I felt super badass calling my working day done at noon.  That never happens. 

Mommy Testers, Tijon, Tijon fragrance lab, Tijon la jolla, make your own perfume class,

We slipped on our lab coats which was funny since clearly neither of us have donned one of these since taking science class in school and got down to smelling.  Tijon boasts a HUGE (and I mean huge) collection of different oils to choose from.  There are completely natural essential oils and less natural options that offer you scents you might not find in "real" nature. 

Mommy Testers, Tijon, Tijon fragrance lab, Tijon la jolla, make your own perfume class,

We entered the world of beakers and droppers and bears, oh my!  Okay, there were no bears but I got that nostalgic school feeling and it was fun.  We mixed, we matched.  We did a ton of smelling and giggling.  Our instructor was beyond sweet and helpful in making suggestions without asserting her opinion.  Overall, it was just the most awesome and different way to spend a Friday afternoon.  


Mommy Testers, Tijon, Tijon fragrance lab, Tijon la jolla, make your own perfume class,

After sniffing, considering, another round of giggling and finally deciding on a scent we faced the hardest part of all.  That would be coming up with a name.  Already feeling the pressure to come up with a name for this baby (since people started asking the second I said I was pregnant) "getaway" stood out.  Craig and I will head to Palm Springs or more specifically the wonderful La Quinta Resort in just a few days so the word getaway was on my brain. And maybe I was thinking of getting away from having to make any more decisions before then.  I have no false visions of it being a marketable name in Neiman Marcus but hey, it works for me!

Mommy Testers, Tijon, Tijon fragrance lab, Tijon la jolla, make your own perfume class,

And of course now I need to find time to actually pack.  With my day of luxury at Tjion in the past it's a crazy push this week so I can hopefully travel laptop free (yay!) to La Quinta.  Here's a little sneak peek of what's in my bag.

Mommy Testers, Tijon, Tijon fragrance lab, Tijon la jolla, make your own perfume class,

If you're thinking of visting Tijon Fragrance Lab, I will say I think it's worth it to check out their Mix and Match class.  It goes for about an hour and is a very memorable way to spend some time with a friend or relative before heading out to lunch or to shop in the area.  Not that I ever do that shopping thing.  Ever.  Okay, guilty.

Pin It button on image hover