February 25, 2014

The LEGO Movie Experience - Behind the Scenes at Legoland California

It's no secret that we've got some LEGO lovers in this house.  I've made a few neat DIY LEGO projects in the past year including the very Pinterest famous DIY LEGO Travel Case and my personal fave, the DIY LEGO wreath.  So when one of my bloggy buddies, Angela of Nine More Months asked if I wanted to come with her to check out some behind the scenes action for the LEGO Movie at Legoland it was kind of a no-brainer.

Mommy Testers The LEGO Movie behind the scenes at Legoland California

With a busy work week and a conference that would take over the weekend looming in the near future, I thought that surprising Kayla with a day off from school (hey, it's our last year of preschool) in the name of girly bonding would be nice.  She agreed.  After all, I am the worst mother in San Diego and we hadn't ever been to Legoland even though it's only about 20 minutes from our house.  

Mommy Testers The LEGO Movie behind the scenes at Legoland California

We pulled up bright and early so we could poke our heads into the famous Legoland Hotel lobby.  Kayla got right to work with a half dozen other kids in the giant pool like area that's filled with bricks of happiness.  It's pretty genius since I can think of at least 5 times we've been checking into a hotel and I am desperately trying to hand over my credit card while I had a child pulling on my arm and saying mom over and over.  

Mommy Testers The LEGO Movie behind the scenes at Legoland California

An inevitable trip to the ladies room led us through part of the hotel and just from the little bits I saw, there is no doubt in my mind that we'll want to return.  I'm a big fan of staycations and I have a hunch that the Legoland Hotel will make the perfect last hurrah as an only child trip before we really rock Kayla's world this summer.  You also get into the park early if you're staying in the hotel.  You know me and my severe allergy to lines.  

Mommy Testers The LEGO Movie behind the scenes at Legoland California

We met up with our friends and headed on over to The LEGO Movie behind the scenes experience.  I won't spoil everything for you, because what fun would that be?  I will say that the movie sets are pretty darn impressive.  I say this as a woman who spent Christmas day of 2012 building a LEGO Police Station.  

What was REALLY cool was getting to meet the Master Builders.  If you're like me then as a parent, you really hope your child finds their passion and grows up to pursue it.   I'm a vocal fan of LEGOs because of the open creativity and problem solving skills they allow kids to build. These guys - nailed it!  Master Builders are people who were almost certainly LEGO crazy as kids.  They build all of the amazing LEGO sculptures you see around the park and they built the LEGO Movie set.  

Mommy Testers The LEGO Movie behind the scenes at Legoland California

Oh, AND they are actually pretty cool dudes.  You would think that people who spend their days building delicate models would be slightly weary and terrified of a room that's quickly filling with destructive little hands.  Not so much.  In fact, Tim handed over his Chef Gordon Zola Minifigure to Kayla before chatting her up and snapping a pic.  

I'm pretty sure she will never forget that because she has reminded me that Tim gave her the "chef LEGO man" like 37 times already.  Conclusion: if my child decides she is destined to be a Master Builder when she grows up I will totally cheer her on and welcome the excuse to purchase more of those crazy big LEGO sets.  

Mommy Testers The LEGO Movie behind the scenes at Legoland California

Oh and then we met Finn from the actual movie.  Okay, his name is really Jadon, but we'll call him Finn. We had been invited to a preview of the movie but (bummer) already had plans.  So Kayla hadn't seen the movie yet and didn't know who Finn was.  Little did she know I had a plan for her to go on a special date with her grandma the next night to none other than...The LEGO Movie.  So we said hi and I told her I would show her this picture after she saw the movie.  She now thinks she's pretty cool.  

Mommy Testers Legoland California

And after our behind the scenes action we went on rides!  Kayla and Angela's son quickly became a little dynamic duo.  Even I got a little thrill out of this airplane ride.  

Mommy Testers Legoland California

Kayla shocked me with her brave big girl moves when she wanted to go down the big slide all by herself.  Twice. 

Mommy Testers The LEGO Movie behind the scenes at Legoland California

And the best/most adorable part of the day was listening to two little buddies (maybe even lovebirds) chatting about nothing and everything and holding hands on the way to the pony ride.  I'll just say this.  I'm really not much of a theme park kind of girl.  And I had it built up in my head that Legoland was really for older kids.  Wrong.  There was quite a bit for the 5 and under crowd and I really appreciated the fact that it felt like there were lots of little areas to play in that weren't just rides with lines or stores prompting you to buy something.  Perhaps I'm weakening in my old age, but I think Legoland has totally won me over.  

Oh and in case you wanted to check out some of the fun LEGO projects I've got in my arsenal, here's a start.


Pin It button on image hover