February 19, 2014

The Best Time Teaching Toy for Kids - Telly the Time Teaching Clock

It's sort of odd, but I can still remember learning to tell time.  I believe I was a solid 6 years old and there was a bribe involved.  It went something like, if you learn to tell time by the end of the month, then I'll take you to a Rangers (hockey) game. Have I mentioned that I was a total tomboy as a kid?  One who was very fixated on hockey at the time?  And apparently bribery was way more socially acceptable (and effective) form of parenting in the 80's.

Mommy Testers, Best time teaching toy for kids, preschool time teaching tool, Telly the time teaching clock, telly time clock review,



Now, away from my parents and onto my own stubborn "let me do it" child.  They can laugh because I have nobody to blame at all except myself for that genetic mutation.  Kayla loves to learn but doesn't exactly love to be taught.  At least not by her mother.  She wants to tinker and figure things out for herself.   She wants to ask a grown up for help when she needs it instead of having a grown up explain how it's done to begin with.  I can't say I blame her.

Over the holiday season while putting together a list of things that might make good gifts for Kayla I came across Telly the Time Teaching Clock.  And I'll be honest, I was all hmmm...I don't know.  I read some reviews (yep, I do that too) but never came to any real conclusions.  Because I tend to veer away from electronic toys I ultimately passed over Telly and decided to revisit him another time.   Fast forward a couple of months and I had all but forgotten about Telly.  Though I was feeling frustrated with the available tools to help my very independent child learn to tell time in a way that felt good to her.

Mommy Testers, Best time teaching toy for kids, preschool time teaching tool, Telly the time teaching clock, telly time clock review,

Now, because of the nature of my job you all know that people reach out to me to check out products constantly.  And if you're a regular reader, you know that I say NO to most of them because I think they are silly, or don't have a lot of value to you or me as a parent.

It just so happened that an email crept into my inbox recently from the company that makes Telly the Teaching Time Clock asking me to check out their lineup.  That's when I saw Telly and his pink counterpart and thought, hey, if this thing works I'll be so freaking happy it's worth a try.

Mommy Testers, Best time teaching toy for kids, preschool time teaching tool, Telly the time teaching clock, telly time clock review,

My lesson learned is that I should have just bought Telly in December.  Because Kayla adores him.  I'm actually quite a fan too.  I really like that your child can adjust the hands on Telly's face and then see the coordinating digital time.  One of my favorite features is that like the Judy Clock I used as a child the hour hand is dependent upon the minute hand to move, so your child can't just stick the hands wherever and ignore the lesson that the minute hand has to go all the way around the clock to complete the passing of an hour.

Telly has two different modes your child can use him in.  First, they can move the hands and Telly announces what time it is and displays the digital version.  Second, they can turn him to quiz mode where he announces a time and displays the digital version of it and your child has to move the hands to match it.  If they get it right, they receive some spoken praise.  If they get it wrong, they get another try to do it correctly.

Mommy Testers, Best time teaching toy for kids, preschool time teaching tool, Telly the time teaching clock, telly time clock review,

The only possible complaint I could make about Telly is that he's a bit on the loud side for me.  There are two volume adjustments, but even on the lower one he still feels a little loud.  Granted, I am a person who often feels like people are yelling when they are "talking"...especially at my mother in law's house. Still, Kayla and Craig seem unaffected by Telly's volume and I'll certainly take the learning factor for the sound factor.

As you can see, Kayla's pretty into him.  I think he's just perfect for her 5 year old skills and comprehension level.  Being a little jaded in the toy department, she doesn't really grab toys from my hands and go curl up on the couch with them on a regular basis.  But, if Telly is her first couch cuddling boyfriend, I totally approve!  Telly comes in at under $30 and I'm thinking about giving him as a gift for some upcoming 5 year old birthday parties we have on the calendar.  A lot more for your money than that action figure set, right?

If you'd like to purchase a Telly of your own from The Learning Journey you can use the code "mommytesters" for 25% off of Telly in either color. 
Pin It button on image hover