February 12, 2014

Nursery Inspiration - Aden + Anais Up Up & Away and DIY Target Hack Chevron Metal Wall Art

Okay, so here's the part where I admit that I did a few totally irrational odd things during that first trimester.  One, I stopped eating chicken.  Random.  For whatever reason I could not bring myself to ingest the stuff. Two, I may have made some design decisions based around the fact that I was having a boy.  Not that I had any scientific proof or anything even remotely tangible to lead me in that direction beyond a gut instinct.  Three, I fell hopelessly in love with the Up, Up & Away print from Aden + Anais.

Mommy Testers, Aden + Anais, Aden and Anais up up and away, Aden anais elephant print, elephant boy nursery


I knew I didn't want something blue (you know, because I was definitely having a boy) and the second I saw that goofy little elephant and the star balloons it was over.  Melt.  Five years ago Craig and I entered the wonderful world of competitive baby swaddling.  I'm not talking about that annoying  mom who wants to compare notes on the playground.  I'm talking about that battle between you and your baby to keep those little arms in a blanket.

We quickly learned that most conventional Amerian swaddle blankets were useless and that's when we met Aden + Anais.  The stretchy muslin swaddle blankets were the only thing that stood a chance against our little Houdini, but they came in just a few styles back then.

Mommy Testers, Aden + Anais, Aden and Anais up up and away, Aden anais elephant print, elephant boy nursery

So it's possible that I had a little internal squeeee when I found this blanket which totally worked with my whole neutral with pops of color lifestyle and didn't scream blue for boy.  My next little bit of inspiration came while doing that 8pm I'm-getting-out-of-here-under-the-guise-that-we-need-Ziploc-bags trip to Target.

These metal over canvas wall art squares had an awesome white chevron style pattern but an ugly yellow gradient underneath.  Which is probably why they were on clearance for $9.98.  Which is exactly why I grabbed the three they had left and headed home to raid my giant supply of craft paint.

Mommy Testers DIY Chevron wall art from Target

I picked a minty shade of green which went well the the Aden + Anais Up, Up and away print and got painting.  Which is always a nice break from social media, right?  And I found a new purpose for Barron's in our home...

Mommy Testers DIY Chevron wall art from Target

Once they dried I just popped them back into the frames.  This is pretty much the easiest DIY you can do.  Next up is wall paint.  I have a strong distaste for this yellow based tan color in our living room and I might have vocalized that to Craig about 37 times in the last few years.  I'm thinking of going with one of those light grey colors above for both the nursery and living room....more on that soon.


Mommy Testers DIY Chevron wall art from Target

Then, because as you can tell from Instagram I hadn't shopped enough, I went online and found this sweet little lamp for the baby's room which echoed this pattern.  It's the perfect amount of light to be able to see things and get around the room at night without it being jarring to a child you REALLY want to sleep.  And $28 for a verywhite, Jonathan Adler meets Design Within Reach lamp, I'll take it.  

Mommy Testers DIY Chevron wall art from Target

Next up, preggo takes on the wall paint.  You know, unless something else distracts me before I get to that.
Pin It button on image hover