January 27, 2014

Easy Football Party Ideas for Game Day

I created my easy football party ideas and snacks for game day as part of a sponsored post for #CollectiveBias #OneBuyForAll 

As much as I shake my head and roll my eyes at my very dramatic (when it comes to sports) better half, deep down inside I have a special place for football season.  The excitement, the food and lately the fact that Kayla has taken an interest in the game makes it even more enjoyable than I'll let on.  So after giving our home a mini home theater makeover  it only seemed fair to whip up a game day party.  Trust me, when you see how easy it is to put together a cute setup you'll be itching for an excuse to entertain.

Mommy Testers, Football party decor, game day party snacks, DIY football decorations, easy game day party, #OneBuyForAll #shop #cbias

If you know me, you know I don't believe in staying up all night to freak out fuss over complicated party decor.  I always aim for high impact, low effort ideas that suggest a theme without feeling like you're being slapped in the face by a party store.  In fact, I usually look for one or two items to purchase that set the tone of the party and then create my own decor around them.

Mommy Testers, Football party decor, game day party snacks, DIY football decorations, easy game day party, #OneBuyForAll #shop #cbias

Doing exactly that I did pick up a couple of these cute referee drink kozies.  They're fun and surprisingly kid friendly since they do a great job of protecting glass bottles from not-so-careful hands.  I taped black and white chevron straws to the side of the bottles so guests could grab them and head on over to the TV.

Mommy Testers, Football party decor, game day party snacks, DIY football decorations, easy game day party, #OneBuyForAll #shop #cbias

Using those little kozies as inspiration I decided to add a mini runner to my party table made out of my favorite medium.  I just cut a few strips of alternating black and white crepe paper, taped them to the back of the table and clipped the ends to vary the length.  I liked the accent against the plain kraft paper I had draped the table in.

Mommy Testers, Bacon grilled cheese on pretzel bread, pretzel bread grilled cheese,  game day party snacks, , #OneBuyForAll #shop #cbias

Knowing that I'd be catering to the big guys as well as the preschool crew I decided to make things easier on myself and skip things like hot wings and chili which most kids reject.  Instead I made these bacon grilled cheese sandwiches on pretzel bread rolls.  Yes, bacon, cheese, pretzel bread.  As you might imagine they are an easy sell with all ages.


I'm pretty open about the fact that I'm not a huge fan of fast food, but I'll be the first to say that I do like some of the packaging the industry has created.  I parked those delectable grilled cheese sandwiches in nothing other than french fry containers.   They were cute and portable, very tailgate friendly.   I added some ramekins of optional tomato soup for dipping.  Full disclosure, that soup is totally not homemade. Did you know Trader Joe's makes an organic tomato and roasted red pepper soup.  Yep.  Shortcuts keep a party host sane.

Mommy Testers, Football party decor, game day party snacks, DIY football decorations, easy game day party, #OneBuyForAll #shop #cbias

For a small dose of a sweet treat I made these chocolate cereal treat footballs.  I made them last year for the big game and they were a total hit.  You simply follow the same process you would for regular cereal treats, but sub in chocolate cereal and shape them like footballs.  If you want to get extra fancy you can use white icing to add some laces.  I decided chocolate + marshmallows was more than enough sugar for this crew and left them au natural.


Mommy Testers, Football party decor, game day party snacks, DIY football decorations, easy game day party, #OneBuyForAll #shop #cbiasMommy Testers, Football party decor, game day party snacks, DIY football decorations, easy game day party, #OneBuyForAll #shop #cbias

To liven up the party table I picked up these really cool tissue grass mats.  They are inexpensive, easy to work with and you can cut them to any shape or size you want.  I planted little stuffed footballs in the grass for the kids to discover, knowing they could toss them around the house without breaking anything or causing any injuries.  They were a hit.


Mommy Testers, Football party decor, game day party snacks, DIY football decorations, easy game day party, #OneBuyForAll #shop #cbias

Rather than making an elaborate backdrop, I picked up a large chalkboard and drew a football play on it.  Yes, I totally consulted Google Images for coaching advice.  Yes, my husband totally made fun of me and called me "Coach Warner" for the rest of the day.  High impact, low effort baby.

Mommy Testers, Football party decor, game day party snacks, DIY football decorations, easy game day party, #OneBuyForAll #shop #cbias

In preparation for the arrival of our friends and to spread the theme over to the TV viewing area I pulled out one of my favorite tricks.  I took the super ugly painting off the wall that someone insists on keeping over the couch and covered it with kraft paper.

Mommy Testers, Football party decor, game day party snacks, DIY football decorations, easy game day party, #OneBuyForAll #shop #cbias

Then I recreated the black and white runner I used on our party table.  When you're working with white crepe paper you have to keep in mind that it's fairly translucent.  To get a clean, uniform look you'll want to double up the white strips and make them two ply.

Best Buy Samsung TV #OneBuyForAll #shop #cbias

You know guys and their electronic devices.  While the men ogled the new TV, Kayla and friends checked out my DIY penalty flags.

Mommy Testers, Football party decor, game day party snacks, DIY football decorations,  DIY Penalty flags,easy game day party, #OneBuyForAll #shop #cbias

And no party would be complete without a drop in from our neighbor friends.  One of whom is an engineer and agreed 100% that it was definitely the right move to wall mount the TV and thought the Geek Squad did a great job putting the wires in the wall and leaving no signs that anything had been done!

Best Buy Samsung TV #OneBuyForAll #shop #cbias

Want to save some of these ideas for a game day party of your own?  Pin the image below and you'll have them in your fabulous Internet filing cabinet!

Mommy Testers, Football party decor, game day party snacks, DIY football decorations, easy game day party, #OneBuyForAll #shop #cbias


Pin It button on image hover