January 15, 2014

Drink Pouch Seed Starters - Repurpose Your Drink Pouches

Those drink pouches kids just love actually make perfect seed starters for Spring. See how to repurpose or upcycle drink pouches into seed starters.

It was class party time, I cringed as I saw mini corn dogs on the list as an option and signed up for juice duty.  I cringed even more when my 4 year old informed me that she LOVES corn dogs and asked why she only has them at class parties.  But back to the juice.  I just did a recycling program with Terracycle teaching kids at a local elementary school that you can actually recycle things like drink pouches via Terracycle.

Mommy Testers, DIY seed starters, Drink pouch seed starters, Recycle drink pouches, upcycle drink pouches, drink pouch crafts,


However in my own home where only the occasional drink pouch appears there isn't anywhere to recycle them (yet) and that got me thinking, what could I do to repurpose the few that came my way?  The reward for the kids embracing the Terracycle program had been a very generous sponsorship so that the PTA could build an organic garden for the children to tend and eventually eat from.  I dug it.  SO much.

Mommy Testers, DIY seed starters, Drink pouch seed starters, Recycle drink pouches, upcycle drink pouches, drink pouch crafts,

So staring at a drink pouch and thinking about a garden, seed starters almost immediately entered my brain.  And of course they are crazy easy to make or I wouldn't bother showing you.  Ain't nothing I detest more than an overly complicated craft.  You know, besides mini corn dogs...

Mommy Testers, DIY seed starters, Drink pouch seed starters, Recycle drink pouches, upcycle drink pouches, drink pouch crafts,

Just pull out the straw and snip off the top of the package.  Give it a good rinse in the sink and dry it a bit.

Mommy Testers, DIY seed starters, Drink pouch seed starters, Recycle drink pouches, upcycle drink pouches, drink pouch crafts,

What makes these drink pouches perfect for seed starters is the way the bottom is constructed.  They stand upright and hold that dirt with little worry about them tipping over.

Mommy Testers, DIY seed starters, Drink pouch seed starters, Recycle drink pouches, upcycle drink pouches, drink pouch crafts,

Add some potting soil and find something you want to grow.  I think beans are an excellent option for little kids. They grow really quickly and I want to say they are one of the hardier plants out there.  READ: less likely to fall victim to my green black thumb.

Mommy Testers, DIY seed starters, Drink pouch seed starters, Recycle drink pouches, upcycle drink pouches, drink pouch crafts,

I'd use just a couple per drink pouch or you'll wind up with them too close together as they grow.  Push them down a bit into the soil so they are covered, but not crazy deep.

Mommy Testers, DIY seed starters, Drink pouch seed starters, Recycle drink pouches, upcycle drink pouches, drink pouch crafts,

You may want something to mark your pouches especially if you're planting multiple things.  I happened to have some of these wooden spoons laying around and used a permanent marker to write on one.  I just stuck that in the drink pouch and boom.  Seed starter.  You can poke some drainage holes in the bottom with a  pin if you like, put this near a windowsill and let your child water it with a medicine dropper to avoid drowning the seedlings.

Mommy Testers, DIY seed starters, Drink pouch seed starters, Recycle drink pouches, upcycle drink pouches, drink pouch crafts,




Pin It button on image hover