December 10, 2013

Tiggly - The Best iPad App Toy for Preschoolers & Toddlers

Tiggly sent us a set of their Tiggly Shapes to try out and I think they are the best iPad toy for preschoolers and toddlers.

At this point I think it's silly to try to deny the way things are moving and say you refuse to let your child engage with electronics.  Stick them in front of the stupid box while cartoons play endlessly?  Obviously not.  But once you get over the playground mom stigma of preschool iPad possession (which I'm still working on) you realize there are lots of truly educational apps out there.  Where things are lacking are those add on toys for kids.  I'm sorry, but the reality is that most of them stink.  Which is why I was surprised and delighted when we got our hands on Tiggly.

Mommy Testers, Tiggly, Tiggly Shapes, Tiggly iPad, Tiggly iPad app, Tiggly iPad toy, Tiggly review

Tiggly is the first truly interactive (and non crappy) iPad toy for toddlers.  Personally, I think they are short changing themselves by saying that because I figured my almost 5 year old would be too old for it.  She's not.  See those shapes?  They are big soft easy to grip shapes that your child can use to stamp and play on the iPad with some free Tiggly apps.

Mommy Testers, Tiggly, Tiggly Shapes, Tiggly iPad, Tiggly iPad app, Tiggly iPad toy, Tiggly review

I'm not a fan of letting my child put anything but her fingers on the iPad and have heard the nightmares of scratched screens from iPad toys of the past.  Tiggly Shapes are designed differently so they really don't scratch your iPad.  I know, because if they did, we'd have a screen that was scratched to bits by now since Kayla's been playing up a storm with them.

Mommy Testers, Tiggly, Tiggly Shapes, Tiggly iPad, Tiggly iPad app, Tiggly iPad toy, Tiggly review

There are a few free Tiggly apps out there which you can easily download from the App Store.  Tiggly Safari seems to be the one aimed at the youngest children (if you ask me) and is pretty basic but cute and fun.  Your child stamps the tiggly shapes as directed on the screen and....

Mommy Testers, Tiggly, Tiggly Shapes, Tiggly iPad, Tiggly iPad app, Tiggly iPad toy, Tiggly review

A few shapes put together become an animal!  It's really quite adorable and I think the perfect challenge for a 2-3 year old.

Mommy Testers, Tiggly, Tiggly Shapes, Tiggly iPad, Tiggly iPad app, Tiggly iPad toy, Tiggly review

What my giant child loved most was Tiggly Draw.  Think thumb print art on the go, but without inky fingerprints everywhere.  Kids stamp shapes of their choice and then add all sorts of features to the shapes to turn them into creatures.

Mommy Testers, Tiggly, Tiggly Shapes, Tiggly iPad, Tiggly iPad app, Tiggly iPad toy, Tiggly review

Kayla was fully focused on this one and I like the very open ended aspect of it.  You see, what makes Tiggly different from other iPad apps and toys (at least in my mind) is that your child actually has to actually use their brain and determine what goes on the screen.

I learned this the hard way when I stopped paying attention while Kayla was playing another "educational" app a while back.  She could simply tap the screen enough times to proceed to the next level/question without actually learning anything.  Bummer.  I'm a fan of the fact that Tiggly incorporates a tactile aspect to iPad play instead of the typical mind numbing tap, swipe tap.

Mommy Testers, Tiggly, Tiggly Shapes, Tiggly iPad, Tiggly iPad app, Tiggly iPad toy, Tiggly review

Before I knew it we had a full on party going on.  The Tiggly apps also talk and make cute sounds (which obviously you can mute) but the noises produced some serious giggles from this child.  First we had a square party.  Then it was a group of triangles.  Then she realized she could mix them and her mind was blown.

Mommy Testers, Tiggly, Tiggly Shapes, Tiggly iPad, Tiggly iPad app, Tiggly iPad toy, Tiggly review

And then we found Tiggly Stamp.  I'll call it the mid point between Tiggly Safari and Tiggly Draw.  You stamp shapes on the screen and they are magically transformed into relevant objects or animals based on the shape chosen.  It's pretty cute and kids enjoy the element of surprise.

Mommy Testers, Tiggly, Tiggly Shapes, Tiggly iPad, Tiggly iPad app, Tiggly iPad toy, Tiggly review

So basically, Tiggly gets my paranoid parent stamp of approval.  It certainly came in handy during our very long Thanksgiving weekend when with no preschool for almost a week I was in search of a variety of educational activities.

You can snap up Tiggly on Amazon.com and have it in your home in 2 days with Prime (take advantage of that free trial, yo!)  Which quite frankly is my favorite way to shop...in my pajamas, on the couch at night.

And, rumor has it that Tiggly has got a cute as can be Christmas app coming.  Which apparently will be more Christmas-y than the one pictured above.  I'm not quite sure how, but I'm excited to find out!
Pin It button on image hover