December 15, 2013

Healthy Reindeer Holiday Treats with Halos

I made these healthy holiday reindeer treats for kids as a fun way to get kids to eat fruit instead of junk at a holiday party as part of a sponsored post for Halos. #HalosFun

I'm not sure about you, but growing up one of my favorite things about this time of year was that my mom would buy crates of mandarins or oranges and let my sisters and I decorate them by making patterns with cloves.  It was all very Martha.  The bummer was that while they smelled good they just became decorations that fell into the "hands off" category.  Which is precisely why when I saw the stacks and stacks of crates of Halos (wait - what's a Halo?) in my local grocery store recently I immediately had a plan.

Mommy Testers, Halos oranges, Halos mandarins, Healthy reindeer treats, healthy holiday treats for kids, Reindeer treats, crafts with oranges, #HalosFun


First of all, Halos are California mandarins that are seedless (very important to Kayla) Non-GMO Verified (very important to moi) and the perfect size for preschool snacking.  With a child running around the house singing Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer at the top of her lungs, it only seemed natural to reindeerify those little mandarins.

Mommy Testers, Halos oranges, Halos mandarins, Healthy reindeer treats, healthy holiday treats for kids, Reindeer treats, crafts with oranges, #HalosFun

I just cut out some antlers from brown construction paper.  No pattern here, I just drew some with a pen and cut them out in a couple of minutes.  If you're doing a bunch of these as say, placeholders at a kids Christmas party table it's very easy to just trace an antler a bunch of times and cut it out.

Mommy Testers, Halos oranges, Halos mandarins, Healthy reindeer treats, healthy holiday treats for kids, Reindeer treats, crafts with oranges, #HalosFun

After that I hit up my crepe paper stash for a bright red little nose.  I simply cut a rectangle and crumpled it into a ball.  I added some stick on wiggle eyes, attached the antlers and nose and my work was done.  It would be so easy to make a pile of these as a contribution to a class party or a party at home since they just take a minute to put together.

Mommy Testers, Halos oranges, Halos mandarins, Healthy reindeer treats, healthy holiday treats for kids, Reindeer treats, crafts with oranges, #HalosFun

They even look pretty cute on top of a more adult-like piece of decor.  Here I simply stacked up a nice pile of Halos on a cake stand and added some boxwood greenery between the layers.  I'm willing to bet that if you plant this on your table during a party it will attract both little and big hands.

Mommy Testers, Halos oranges, Halos mandarins, Healthy reindeer treats, healthy holiday treats for kids, Reindeer treats, crafts with oranges, #HalosFun

Speaking of little hands, I've got some great ideas for keeping those little hands occupied during holiday get togethers.  How about a duo of a cute reindeer mandarin and a jar of homemade play dough for each child waiting right at their seat?

Halos box
 Fruit is fun! Get your family excited about fresh foods with sweet, healthy reminders all year long and activities they’ll love. Check out the FREE HalosFun kids’ app on Android or iPhone for more ways to get them cheering about pure goodness. You can learn more about Wonderful Halos on Facebook, Twitter or HalosFun
Pin It button on image hover