November 6, 2013

How to Rock Edgy Chic - Without Looking Like a Teenager

It would be hard to ignore or miss the influx of vegan leather, grunge, lace and overall "edgy chic" look that is hitting every store from Neiman Marcus to Target.  This both excites me and makes me cringe because I just know that I'll start seeing women running around town looking like biker chicks gone wrong.  SO, in an effort to make sure I didn't become one of those people who looks like the trend is wearing them instead of the other way around I created a few balanced looks and thought I'd share one of them with you.  More to come!

Mommy Testers How to rock edgy chic, how to wear the leather trend, Edgy chic for moms, Target Vegan Leather Sweater, J.Crew stacked jewel pendant necklace


When I'm shopping for a season to come, the first thing I do is look for pieces that speak to me.  I had an instant love affair with this stacked jewel necklace from J.Crew.  I'm a pretty small person so it can be hard to wear really big statement pieces without looking ridiculous.  This one felt just right in size.  The industrial feeling chain and the ladylike jewels balance one another out and work perfectly.

How to rock edgy chic, how to wear the leather trend, Edgy chic for moms, Target Vegan Leather Sweater, J.Crew stacked jewel pendant necklace

I don't own a lot of black in general (It makes me feel like I look like everyone else) and I didn't own a black leather anything but a Gryson handbag from back when Joy Gryson first got going.  But when I saw this paneled vegan leather cardigan from Target I did a double take.  It combined two things I pretty much don't do at all - leather and space dye.  But unlike a lot of the apparel I see in the store this piece felt well designed and finished properly so it didn't reek of big box cheapness.  In fact, it looked pretty darn good.  Trendy but not um, trying too hard?

How to rock edgy chic, how to wear the leather trend, Edgy chic for moms, Target Vegan Leather Sweater, J.Crew jeweled pendant necklace

No matter what trend is in, the most important thing is making sure you stay true to what makes you comfortable and feel good.  For me that tends to be flowy silk tops and dark rinse denim.  Seriously, pack me a suitcase filled with a rainbow of silk blouses and skinny jeans and ship me off to wherever.  I'm good to go.  This white blouse I found at Zara.  It's one of those things you can dress up with a skirt or dress down like I did with basic denim.  Did you know you can shop online at Zara?  It's about 100 times better than shopping in the store which seems to have limited size options and a dressing room line.

How to rock edgy chic, how to wear the leather trend, Edgy chic for moms, Target Vegan Leather Sweater, J.Crew jeweled pendant necklace

And the jeans?  Well I have a little secret to tell you.  I used to spend at least $150 if not $200+ on a pair of jeans.  And they never fit me perfectly either.  Then after getting over my fear of skinny jeans and taking an entire afternoon to shop with no goal in mind I stumbled upon H&M's super skinny jeans found on the teenybopper side of the store.  Which are $19.95 and fit better than anything I've ever found in Bloomingdales or Nordstrom.  So now, I just buy as many pairs as I can find in my size with zero guilt.  Who doesn't like zero guilt?
Pin It button on image hover