November 20, 2013

Easy Rice Krispie Treat Turkey - Thanksgiving Dessert for Kids

Need a great Thanksgiving desert for kids?  Try this Rice Krispie treat turkey.   My family has about fifty wacky traditions but this is definitely the one that has become pretty famous.  "Hey, can you bring that turkey again this year?" is a pretty common phrase to hear during November.  My mother started making this silly desert when I was in grade school and kids go absolutely nuts over it.  Adults tend to ditch their very refined pies and start sneaking pieces.  It's a good thing.

Mommy Testers, Rice Krispie treat turkey, rice krispie treat turkey for thanksgiving, original rice krispie treat, Thanksgiving dessert for kids, cereal treat turkey,



To make mine I just prepare a double batch of Rice Krispie Treats and instead of putting them in a baking pan or another kind of dish I pour out the molten marshmallow goodness onto some non-stick aluminum foil.  Note - this will stick to wax paper.  I don't care what any other recipe says.  Non-stick aluminum foil IS the way to go.  

Mommy Testers, Rice Krispie treat turkey, rice krispie treat turkey for thanksgiving, original rice krispie treat, Thanksgiving dessert for kids, cereal treat turkey,

You'll need to give it a minute or two to cool down a little so you don't give yourself a nice burn. While this is happening here's my big secret that I figured out a couple of years ago.  It's going to sound super weird, but don't judge!  My mom used to use wax paper to mold her turkey.  I tried it, it stuck and was a nightmare.  So what can you use?  You'll want super clean hands (obviously) and you take a little bit of butter and rub it on your hands and then suddenly you can mold the Rice Krispie treats easily.

It takes me less than 5 minutes to mold the shape of the body of the turkey and make the wings and legs.  You have to work quickly because as you know, the sugar will set.  If you make a mistake and don't use enough in a part it's very forgiving and easy to add on.  For the full effect I cut out some paper frills and stick them on the turkey.  The kids go nuts.  It takes about 15 minutes from start to finish and you look like a crafty kitchen hero.  Need I say more?  Any questions - don't hesitate to ask!

Mommy Testers, Rice Krispie treat turkey, rice krispie treat turkey for thanksgiving, original rice krispie treat, Thanksgiving dessert for kids, cereal treat turkey,



Pin It button on image hover