October 30, 2013

Stressed Skin - How to Find a Holiday Win with Dermalogica

Holiday stress is killing my skin so I checked out some solutions and created some DIY beauty product ornaments as part of a sponsored post for Collective Bias and their client. 

The holidays are on their way!  If you're in my line of work then they've actually been here for quite some time.  In the blogger world I think it's safe to say that the holidays start in July or August when you work on Halloween and don't stop till you hit the end of December.   When you're inevitably last minute Christmas-ing, traveling and entertaining relatives.  Which is stressful.  So in true blogger fashion I am giving you the advance preview of what stressed, broken out holiday Jillian looks like.  With makeup.

Mommy Testers Dermalogica skin mapping tool, Dermalogica skin kits, Dermalogica travel samples, DIY beauty product ornaments, Easy beauty product wrapping #shop #cbias

Poor Craig has to experience the zombie-apocalypse-5:30am-with-no-makeup-look.  Thank goodness his vision is going downhill these days.  It would make sense to go to the dermatologist, wouldn't it?  If I had one.  That's right, I'll be honest.  Unless it's a standard scheduled doctor's appointment to tick off the "I'm probably not dying yet" and "I'm being a semi-responsible adult for going" boxes it's probably not happening.  Who has time for extra extra-curricular appointments?

Which is precisely why when I found out that Dermalogica has a speed mapping skin analysis tool on their site I was all like sign me up!  Except I didn't have to sign up for anything.  I just clicked a few buttons, entered my skin disasters concerns and received what felt like the right amount of information and some great product recommendations to get on my way to a less stressed looking face. 


Mommy Testers Dermalogica skin mapping tool, Dermalogica skin kits, Dermalogica travel samples, DIY beauty product ornaments, Easy beauty product wrapping #shop #cbias

If you're anything like me then you adore the option of smaller sized products.  They're an excellent way to try a variety of products without a huge investment and they are perfect for travel.  There is nothing worse than finding a great product you love and not being able to get TSA approved sizes.  This girl doesn't check luggage.  And as a frequent traveler I hate the mess and waste created by transferring high end products to travel bottles.

Mommy Testers Dermalogica skin mapping tool, Dermalogica skin kits, Dermalogica travel samples, DIY beauty product ornaments, Easy beauty product wrapping #shop #cbias

Therefore I was elated when I headed to Ulta and found that not only did Dermalogica have the products they had recommended for me along with testers to feel and smell everything, but they had these neat skin kits.  The skin kits are filled with everything I would need to try out the regimen suggested for me at less than the copay I'd have to fork over to walk in the door of a dermatologist's office.  Not to mention they were way less risky than grabbing a bunch of full sized products and hoping you like all of them. Isn't that everyone's biggest fear in trying new products?

Mommy Testers Dermalogica skin mapping tool, Dermalogica skin kits, Dermalogica travel samples, DIY beauty product ornaments, Easy beauty product wrapping #shop #cbias

I just so happened to be shopping right before jumping on a flight, so it was nice that I could take all of my new finds with me in my little clear plastic bag.  This Skin Prep Scrub quickly became my favorite. I've tried a ton of exfoliating products over the years and I'm pretty sure this the best one yet.  Every year I give Craig a few beauty related products I hope to find under the tree and this one will definitely make the list.  Which of course got me thinking.  Are there any fun ways to wrap or give beauty products?

Mommy Testers Dermalogica skin mapping tool, Dermalogica skin kits, Dermalogica travel samples, DIY beauty product ornaments, Easy beauty product wrapping #shop #cbias

Last year Santa brought Kayla a glitter covered handbag she had her eyes on.  Every single time she sees the bag now she mentions the fact that Santa left it ON the tree versus under the tree.  I'm calling out Santa's lazy attempt at non-wrapping due to sleep deprivation, but it worked and she loved it. Why not do the same with impossible to wrap beauty products?  I added a piece of baker's twine and a little glue spot to the back of this tube.  Voila!  Fun things to find on the tree this Christmas morning.

Mommy Testers Dermalogica skin mapping tool, Dermalogica skin kits, Dermalogica travel samples, DIY beauty product ornaments, Easy beauty product wrapping #shop #cbias

Or if you've seen those cute new melamine produce baskets they have in places like World Market (which happens to be next door to my local Ulta - double win!) they make perfect little gift baskets for smaller odd sized items.  Add some paper filler or crepe paper and a couple of cute little honeycomb gift tags and you're all set.  The basket doubles as awesome bathroom counter storage for the products because it doesn't retain water and looks cute, fresh and clean if you ask me.

You can find an absolutely amazing selection of Dermalogica products at Ulta and trust me, it's a fun store to play around in for a while.  In fact I'm pretty sure that taking a few minutes to spend doing something girly and enjoyable, like shopping a giant store filled with beauty products had me leaving feeling way less stressed than sitting in a doctor's office waiting room.
Pin It button on image hover