October 18, 2013

DIY Diaper Sheep - Baby Shower Decor

Diaper cake.  Yawn.  I don't mean to sound rude, but really?  It blows my mind a bit that there are so few real departures from the diaper cake in the world of diaper crafting.  While I was putting together a gift basket for some new parents desperately in need of sleep I had sheep on the brain.  Which is precisely how this DIY diaper sheep was born.

DIY Diaper Sheep, diaper crafting tutorial, Diaper sheep, diaper cake alternative, fun diaper craft, baby shower sheep decor, sheep baby shower



Yes, I know.  "Grown woman spends all day making barnyard animals out of diapers, then goes insane" I can see the headlines now.  But you have to admit it's kind of cute.  And it actually didn't take too long.  The hardest part was figuring out how to make a sheep's head out of a diaper.  But I've tackled that epic problem for you and now you can just breeze through this and whip up your own flock of sheep.  I pretty much guarantee baby shower celebrity status if you show up with these!

DIY Diaper Sheep, diaper crafting tutorial, Diaper sheep, diaper cake alternative, fun diaper craft, baby shower sheep decor, sheep baby shower

Here's how I did it.  First I rolled up a bunch of diapers - around 15 since they vary a bit based on the size and how tightly you roll them.  I made sure I rolled them so the cartoons would be facing inward and then tied them as tightly as I could with embroidery floss.  Obviously you can use whatever you like to tie them.

DIY Diaper Sheep, diaper crafting tutorial, Diaper sheep, diaper cake alternative, fun diaper craft, baby shower sheep decor, sheep baby shower

Next I gathered up a bundle that looked like a sheep's body and tied it as tightly as I could with some more embroidery floss. When I did this I kept the diapers on their ends and only stood it up after to show you what it would look like.

DIY Diaper Sheep, diaper crafting tutorial, Diaper sheep, diaper cake alternative, fun diaper craft, baby shower sheep decor, sheep baby shower

After that I took two more rolled up diapers and tied them on individually to the bottom of the sheep's body to make legs.  Easy, right?

DIY Diaper Sheep, diaper crafting tutorial, Diaper sheep, diaper cake alternative, fun diaper craft, baby shower sheep decor, sheep baby shower

Next I took a diaper, turned it inside out and rolled it under itself.  I left the bottom half of the diaper out of the roll to create a head.  You can sort of see a face forming.  The flaps of the diaper with the tabs become ears.

DIY Diaper Sheep, diaper crafting tutorial, Diaper sheep, diaper cake alternative, fun diaper craft, baby shower sheep decor, sheep baby shower

Then I squeezed the sides in to define the head and give it a 3D effect.   I simply tied this with some more embroidery floss and had a head.  After that I added some stick on googly eyes and used a permanent marker to draw on a little smile.  I hot glued the head to the main body and boom! Diaper sheep.

Pin It button on image hover