September 8, 2013

Easy Fun and Healthy Kids Breakfast Ideas for Cool Moms. Yes, I Mean You.

This week I came up with some easy and fun healthy breakfast ideas for kids as part of a sponsored post for Collective Bias® Check out my clever findings!

The back to school season is tough.  There are bedtimes to be adjusted, new teachers and friends, and let's not even talk about the morning rush.  Or actually, let's do just that.  Monday through Friday my goal is to get Kayla washed, dressed, fed and off to school as quickly as possible so that I can get working.  I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one?  Lately I've had to remind her to finish up her breakfast oh about 12 times before she actually eats it.  All of this nagging and repetition makes me feel like the mother I never wanted to be.  So this week I got a little creative.  

Cereal Maze, Cereal maze with Life cereal,  Easy fun breakfast for kids, Building with cereal, #cbias #shop


The other day when picking up some party supplies at Walmart I grabbed some Life cereal.  This was the cereal my three sisters and I would beg for, fight over and consume like rabid forest creatures as kids.  It was hands down the yummiest healthy cereal out there that was allowed in our home.  Same goes in my home these days...minus the bickering.    

When my messy haired, groggy child awoke I didn't ask her what she wanted for breakfast.  Instead I asked if she wanted to make cereal mazes with me.  It took about half a second for her to leap out of bed and start asking me 20 questions.  How do you make cereal mazes?  Who goes in the maze?  Can I do it all by myself?  Quite the change from the usual debate over what she is or isn't allowed to eat for breakfast. 

Cereal Maze, Cereal maze with Life cereal,  Easy fun breakfast for kids, Building with cereal, #cbias #shop

We started with a maze and added some of her little toys who would have to go through the maze.  While we were building pieces of cereal started magically disappearing.  Before I knew it the mazes had been dismantled and she was building a cereal village.  I loved seeing the little wheels in her head turning as she had to problem solve and see how she could stand the pieces of Life cereal to make them stay as walls.

Easy fun breakfast for kids, Building with cereal, #cbias #shop

Those that collapsed met the fate of Kayla's mouth and soon she needed a refill of building supplies.  After a few minutes she realized that triangular buildings were the way to go, but required careful construction so they would support themselves.  I began to feel smug- with a hint of pride in my cereal engineer.  While technically breakfast took a little longer than it would in my ideal world it was probably about the same amount of time it takes her to eat  with my constant reminders and was obviously far more fun.  For all parties involved.

The fastest Orange Juice pops, Orange juice ice pops, Tropicana ice pops #cbias #shop

One more trick I added to my arsenal this week was the old "anything on a stick is better" trick.  We're a water, milk and occasional orange juice house.  Since it's been unseasonably warm here in San Diego I figured one more way to guarantee a happy wake up was to offer something kids beg for.  Ice pops. Orange juice ice pops in this case.  Really, what's the difference if they drink it or eat it?  If Kayla is getting that vitamin C boost I'm happy to serve up an ice pop if it's one I make at home and know exactly what goes into it.

The fastest Orange Juice pops, Orange juice ice pops, Tropicana ice pops #cbias #shop

I used my incredibly quick Zoku ice pop maker and added some Tropicana orange juice right from the bottle.  It makes ice pops in just 7 minutes so this didn't have to be planned far in advance and could be done by bleary eyed me before having coffee or tea.  Which says something.

The fastest Orange Juice pops, Orange juice ice pops, Tropicana ice pops #cbias #shop

And as you might imagine, Kayla was overjoyed at the idea of being handed an ice pop at breakfast.  In fact I'm pretty sure she was slightly confused and worried that I might take it away and it had been a mom-mistake.  Nope.  But it was pretty clever if you ask me.  Do you have any sly breakfast tricks that have worked with your kids?  Please add to my arsenal!
Pin It button on image hover