September 23, 2013

Easy DIY Paper Garlands + an Art Tool Donation

This week I created some easy DIY paper garlands that are perfect inexpensive party decor and created a Fiskars Shape Their Future Donation as part of a sponsored post for Collective Bias®

Have you ever seen something decorative and said "I bet I can make that!" I've been having that experience a lot lately and it feels pretty darn awesome when the end result is not a Pinterest fail.  And if it is well, no one has to know!

Easy DIY Paper Garlands and a #Fiskars4Kids Fiskars Shape their future donation, champions for kids

I found myself browsing the web for some decorative garlands to brighten up the walls in my office and Kayla's new bedroom.  What I hadn't realized is how expensive they can be.   A lot of the ones I saw and liked ran between $12 and $25 a strand.  Which is kind of a lot...for paper and string.  So when I found this craft on the Fiskars site I thought it seemed simple enough to do a version that didn't require buying tons of supplies and wouldn't make me insane.



Easy DIY Paper Garlands and a #Fiskars4Kids Fiskars Shape their future donation, champions for kids

I picked up this neat scalloped squeeze punch, some colorful card stock, embroidery floss and some glue spots at Walmart and got to work.  The squeeze punch was pretty great because it worked so quickly and the ergonomic design of it meant my hand never started hurting even though I punched a bunch of paper cut outs.  It was a little bit big for Kayla to manage on her own at 4 but I bet a 6 year old would have no problem.

Easy DIY Paper Garlands and a #Fiskars4Kids Fiskars Shape their future donation, champions for kids

Next I cut a few lengths of the embroidery floss to attach the card stock pieces to.  If you're wondering why I chose bright spring-y colors even though it's fall, the answer is that I'm in denial of the colder months to come and I always think kids like being around bright cheerful colors no matter the season. 

Easy DIY Paper Garlands and a #Fiskars4Kids Fiskars Shape their future donation, champions for kids

Once my strings were cut I just stuck a glue spot in the middle of a cutout, laid the piece of string in the middle of the glue spot and pressed down.  Then I added a glue spot to the middle of another cutout and placed it on top.  You can rotate the patterns, add colors randomly or use different shapes of punches to make your garland more intricate.  But you know me, I like easy, cute and inexpensive when it comes to decor.

Easy DIY Paper Garlands and a #Fiskars4Kids Fiskars Shape their future donation, champions for kids

Kayla on the other hand just wanted to decorate her neck.  My child is always looking to turn anything into a piece of jewelry.  Wonder where she gets that from?    In the end I made a bunch of garlands and only spent a little more than what buying one strand of a garland would have cost me.  If you're wondering why my garlands are all strung up in front of a bunch of art supplies I'll tell you.

Easy DIY Paper Garlands and a #Fiskars4Kids Fiskars Shape their future donation, champions for kids

With the money we saved making our own decorations and some generous support from Champions For Kids, Kayla and I were able to buy all of these craft tools to create a Fiskars Shape Their Future Donation to a local school so they could encourage the same creativity in their students and have the supplies to get those little gears turning.

Easy DIY Paper Garlands and a #Fiskars4Kids Fiskars Shape their future donation, champions for kids

As a parent who is less than a year away from enrolling their child in public school I'm a little freaked out hearing about all of the things that are being cut at schools due to budget constraints.  Naturally things like art, music and science are high on the cut list.  I think it's safe to say that while I'm no professional artist, a large portion of what I do for my own business is creative.  I don't want to see my child or other people's children grow up without the chance to learn to love being creative.

Easy DIY Paper Garlands and a #Fiskars4Kids Fiskars Shape their future donation, champions for kids

So Kayla and I scooped up a bunch of things that she would love to get her hands on - like these Telescoping Crayon Towers from Crayola.  Now that I think about it, she's asked for one of these for quite some time and I have been waiting to give it to her as part of an actual gift for a holiday or accomplishment, not just as a souvenir for visiting Walmart.  I didn't realize there was such a variety of Fiskars scissors for different ages and stages.  The preschool scissors are great for those learning to cut and the blunt tip ones are just right for Kayla's age.

Easy DIY Paper Garlands and a #Fiskars4Kids Fiskars Shape their future donation, champions for kids

So Kayla and I will be dropping these off at her preschool where her incredibly creative teacher will be empowered to share her love of art, design and making things with a bunch of 4 and 5 year sponges who will no doubt soak up every bit of her infectious enthusiasm.  And I as a parent couldn't be happier.

Easy DIY Paper Garlands and a #Fiskars4Kids Fiskars Shape their future donation, champions for kids

If you're wondering how you can get involved in and make a Fiskars Shape Their Future Donation of your own, it's easy.  The next time you're shopping  pick up a few extra supplies.  Even one thing makes a difference.  You can grab a bottle of glue, a pair of scissors, a box of crayons and some paper for less than $5.

There are so many schools, shelters and community organizations that will be incredibly grateful and really, is there any reward better than walking by a window filled with colorful children's art and seeing the sheer adorableness and innocence on display?  I think not.

How to make Easy DIY Paper Garlands #DIY #crafts #party #decor





Pin It button on image hover