August 11, 2013

How to print Instagram photos and banish mom travel guilt

This week I checked out how I could print Instagram photos from my iPhone and created some Pinterest worthy crafts as part of a sponsored post for Collective Bias® using the #WalgreensApp #cbias

Mom guilt.  Is there a mom out there who is resistant to it?  If there is I want to know what her secrets are and if they involve prescription drugs.  When it comes to the school of motherhood I majored in creative distractions with a minor in mom guilt.  As you may know, last month I traveled to BlogHer which is a completely female dominated and mom dominated conference.  In the weeks leading up to the conference I quickly realized that most moms hardly ever left their young children.  Insert some mom guilt here.  My Delta  Skymiles account says it all.

Mommy Testers how to print Instagram photos from iPhone with #WalgreensApp #shop


Since Kayla was about 6 months old I've left on 3-5 day business trips quarterly.  So at this point me leaving is really not a drama since Kayla is pretty cool about it.  My trick is limited hype going into leaving.  I just let her know I'll be going on a trip the week before and highlight how much fun she's going to have with her dad rather than focus on how much I'm going to miss her.  Weepiness reduced on both ends that way.

If you follow me on Instagram then you know that is where I share all of the random outtakes of our family's life....including the belly button tattoo Kayla decided to give herself the other day.  One night this week I was up late editing some photos and was thinking about my ever growing collection of Instagram photos.  With their cool filters and fun captured moments I wish I would remember to print them, but always get distracted with other tasks.

Mommy Testers how to print Instagram photos from iPhone with #WalgreensApp #shop

So I decided there was no better time than 11:30pm to print up some photos.  What's kind of awesome and I didn't even realize is that Walgreens lets you print Instagram photos in 4"x4"format 24 hours a day to the store of your choice.  The app is incredibly intuitive and easy to use.  In fact I'm fairly certain my MIL could use without 5 phone calls to the Jillian help desk, which speaks volumes.  Here's the craziest part.  I got an email about an hour later letting me know that my photos were ready for pickup.  In the middle of the night.  Say what???

Thinking of my friends who had such a hard time leaving their kids behind since it was so new to both parties I came up with this Mom-Travel-Guilt-Be-Gone craft.  Here's how it works...

Mommy Testers how to print Instagram photos from iPhone with #WalgreensApp #shop

For each day I was gone I created a personal note for Kayla tied to a special memory we had that was highlighted in a photo and then added a photo clue to a place where she could find a small trinket from me to get excited about.  A mini scavenger hunt of sorts.

Mommy Testers how to print Instagram photos from iPhone with #WalgreensApp #shop

Kayla adores doing math problems on her easel so I used the easel as the hiding place for this little purple bracelet that blinks when you shake it.  Obviously the ultimate find for a 4 year old and just $1.49 at Walgreens.

Mommy Testers how to print Instagram photos from iPhone with #WalgreensApp #shop

I picked out another Instagram photo that I had printed from my iPhone of a special moment when I took Kayla for ice cream sandwiches at the beach.   Using some dollar section note cards I had lying around I wrote her a short note letting her know I'd be back soon and we'd go to the same ice cream place when I came home.

Mommy Testers how to print Instagram photos from iPhone with #WalgreensApp #shop

I made days two and three the same way, attaching the parts with some ribbon and tape.  Nothing fancy and nothing too complicated.  It didn't take very long to put together and obviously you can change things up and customize as you like.

Mommy Testers how to print Instagram photos from iPhone with #WalgreensApp #shop

Then to finish it all off I added a little header saying "mom will be back in just a few days."  A little reminder for my mini me that time would fly and she would have something to look forward to each day.  Ever the sugar warden in our home, I even added an instant gratification lollipop to the top so when she came home from school to no mom at least there would be sugar...in the form of a small organic lollipop of course.  Some things never change.

Mommy Testers how to print Instagram photos from iPhone with #WalgreensApp #shop

Have some fun ideas of what you would do with your Instagram photos?  Send them my way!  I'm always looking for inspiration...
Pin It button on image hover