July 5, 2013

Are you afraid of the makeup counter? I was, until I found my perfect foundation match.

Just so you know, I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  I  recently checked out makeup options from Nordstrom and found some I loved from Estee Lauder. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias and their client.

I guess it's time for me to confess to one more neurotic fear.  My name is Jillian and I was terrified of the makeup counter until now.  Ridiculous, right?  But I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one.  In my eyes, makeup counter fear stems from 3 parts.  1) Fear of being "sold"  2) Fear of being wrong and 3) Fear of looking like I've just stepped off the set of La Cage Aux Folles.

mommy testers perfect foundation match with Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation

Despite my interest in makeup and the fact that I um...can't live without it I've spent years doing the beauty section sprint which is where I go as fast as I can past that part of the store without making eye contact.  I don't like getting sold on products or sprayed with perfume.  I'm very much a do it yourself shopper.  I research and make an educated decision.  I'm also a little afraid that I'll be told "you're doing it all wrong." We all have self conscious moments, right?  And of course we can't forget the scariness of the gaudy makeup mask wearing employee who wants to make you over.  No thanks.  I'd rather look like mediocre me than stage makeup you!

This week however, I was challenged to get over that fear and head right into the heart of the beauty section at Nordstrom where I checked out the Estee Lauder makeup offerings.  Iconic brand, obviously.  But because of the aforementioned fear and the fact that there aren't tons of online makeup destinations that carry the brand I haven't tried many of their products.  AND I was a bit freaked out about having my makeup stripped off in front of a bunch of other shoppers and turning control over to a perfect stranger in the name of finding some new products to love.

Mommy Testers Estee Lauder duo automatic lip pencil lip liner with brush and lipstick

I got over that quickly when I met Desiree and received what I can only describe as a mind blowing education on choosing the right shade of foundation and lots of makeup application techniques.  My MIL, a 20+ year devotee of the Chanel counter was with me and kept commenting "I didn't know that"  and "Oh, really?  That's how you do it?"  She also took into account what I had said about my life as the mother of a rambunctious 4 year old and how much of a beauty routine I was willing to commit to in the morning.  Read: not a big one.

mommy testers perfect foundation match with Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation

My favorite product by far is the Double Wear foundation.  I have an uneven skin tone and it offers full coverage to even things out without being heavy.  I could feel the difference on my face between my traditional Dermablend foundation and this one.   I've always applied foundation with a sponge and felt my Beauty Blender was top of the line.  I'd never tried application with a brush before, but after having Desiree do it I really wanted to try.  I felt that I had more control with the brush than I did with a sponge.

mommy testers perfect foundation match with Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation

An added bonus - the Double Wear is called stay in place makeup because it well, stays in place.  When I go out with Craig and he says he's going to wear a white shirt I cringe because normally I'm afraid I'll get makeup on it if I dare to hug him.  This is definitely an upgrade in that department!

Mommy Testers Estee Lauder duo automatic lip pencil lip liner with brush and lipstick

And believe it or not I actually decided to grab a lipstick AND lip liner there for date night this week.  I love that this lip pencil duo comes with a brush on the other end to perfect the look or apply a lip gloss you may already use that comes in a pot.  A little more refined and hygienic than finger application, right?

In the end, my big takeaway from this experience was that I should really get over my fear of the makeup counter and embrace the professional help available.  Out of my comfort zone?  A bit.  But well worth it for everything I learned and that I came home with 4 wins and no misses as far as purchases went.
Pin It button on image hover