June 12, 2013

Spa lunch for those of us who crave pizza and never go to the spa

Just so you know, I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias and their client. #cbias

I don't know about you but I can count how many times I've seen the inside of a spa on one hand with fingers left over.  In fact I've got a Spa Finder gift card that's been sitting in my desk for oh about 3 years and will almost certainly never get cashed in. Maybe I'm broken as a woman, but I'm just not big on spas, relaxation rooms and strangers touching me.  Plus, I'd much rather be creating something or chatting with friends than sitting in forced silence meditating with a glass of lemon water.

 Mommy Testers Spa Pizza a Hummus Pizza with vegetables  #cbias


There is one thing about spas that I do kind of love, but it has nothing to do with body wraps and everything to do with lettuce.  Spa food.  It's kind of awesome because it's delicious, fresh and leaves you guilt free.  For me it's not about calories, it's about eating things I can feel good about and being able to have something on the treat spectrum that doesn't completely negate the wholesome aspect.

 Mommy Testers Spa Pizza a Hummus Pizza with vegetables  #cbias

While I was in Target (shocker!) looking for some "big girl" water bottles for Kayla I remembered these pre-made super thin pizza crusts I'd seen.  Pizza has always been my junk food of choice.  But once you get out of the mindset that it's only meant to contain tomato sauce and oodles of cheese it doesn't have to be junk food, right? So I decided to make a healthy pizza with those crazy thin crusts and this hummus, spinach and red pepper spa inspired pizza was born.

sauteed spinach with garlic

Making it is super easy.  When we're talking about thin crust pizza crispy is a must so I baked the crust on its own for about 6 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  While that was baking I chopped 3 cloves of garlic and grabbed some baby spinach.  I put a pan on medium heat, added a tiny pour of olive oil and threw the garlic in.  After a couple of minutes I added a few handfuls of baby spinach and let them saute together until the spinach was wilted but not overly done.

Sabra hummus for  Mommy Testers Spa Pizza a Hummus Pizza with vegetables  #cbias

I spread the pizza crust with my go-to hummus, Sabra.  I've always been picky about dips and spreads. Some brands use too much lemon and then you're eating tangy hummus and wondering why.  Ick. Because  hummus and paprika just belong together I decided to give it a good sprinkling of smoked paprika before adding the veggies.  Obviously you can use whatever you like, but I was feeling red pepper, so I thinly sliced one and added that along with the sauteed garlic spinach and that was it.

The hot and cold elements together work out - the hummus and red peppers are refreshing, the crust is warm and crispy and the garlic spinach adds tons of flavor.  If you like you can give the spinach the most gentle sprinkling of salt too.

 Mommy Testers Spa Pizza a Hummus Pizza with vegetables  #cbias

Now, what is classically paired with pizza, but pretty much a healthy eating no-no?  Soda.  I was raised in an all soda, all the time household.  Times were different back then!  I basically stopped drinking the stuff because of the lovely choices of high fructose corn syrup or aspartame.  BUT if you're anything like me then you occasionally yearn for a glass.  I sometimes put a few glass bottles imported from Mexico in our fridge because they are made with real sugar.  Who would have thought Mexico was way ahead of the US in that regard, but they totally are.  Until now.

 Mommy Testers Sierra Mist Natural Valencia orange soda #cbias

While I was shopping at "Palace Target" (as my city dwelling little sis calls it) I noticed that Sierra Mist now has an all natural version made with real sugar and neither of the aforementioned smut list ingredients.  So of course it had to come home with me.

 Mommy Testers Sierra Mist Natural Valencia orange soda #cbias

I had a bag of ripe Valencia oranges in the fridge and decided to use some to make orange slice ice cubes.   No crazy preparation required -just pop them in the freezer the night before or in the morning and by lunch you're good to go.  They keep your drink cold, they add to the fruity goodness, they don't dilute your drink and make the perfect little dessert when you're all done.

 Mommy Testers Sierra Mist Natural Valencia orange soda #cbias

The best part?  This whole lunch took less than 15 minutes to make and was around $12 of ingredients with enough to make 2 pizzas and plenty of orange soda.  It's easily a lunch you could have with a couple of girlfriends on the cheap and looks pretty glam for Target, don't you think?
Pin It button on image hover