June 24, 2013

My child hijacked my phone! A little update on our hunt for a great wireless unlimited plan.

Just so you know, I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  I was recently asked to check out unlimited plans for wireless to see if I could find a cheap wireless plan that would work for my family.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias and their client. #FamilyMobileSaves #cbias

A little while back I told you how we may be overpaying for wireless.  Okay, let me be blunt.  We're getting gouged on our wireless bill from Sprint.   Now that I actually realize it's happening I find it to be infuriating.  So I've spent that last month checking out the Walmart Family Mobile plan to see if it's a viable solution for us.  I mean, when Kayla has actually allowed me to use the phone!

Mommy Testers Walmart Family Mobile Unlimited Wireless Plan #FamilyMobileSaves #cbias

That's right, the phone I was sent to test out the service has been hijacked by a loquacious 4 year old who enjoys engaging family members in long winded calls.  Usually she recites the inconsistent details of her day...and blabs about nothing and everything.  Total gibberish sometimes.  Of course my parents think it's adorable because in their eyes she can do no wrong.  Ever.


The good news is that since this wireless plan is so ridiculously affordable I really don't care what she does on that phone.  While it wasn't an actual Father's Day gift to Craig, I know a father who is benefitting from it - grandpa!  And I'm all "go right ahead!"  You can talk to grandpa for an hour at a time, get him to quiz you on math problems and make him listen to you sing Suit & Tie incredibly loudly and out of tune.  Mom doesn't mind AT ALL.

Mommy Testers Walmart Family Mobile Unlimited Wireless Plan #FamilyMobileSaves #cbias

Because the $40 a month the unlimited plan costs is about 1/4 of what I spend on Kayla's swim classes every month.  Seriously.  It's also probably less than 1/3 of what we spend on organic fruit at Trader Joes each month.  Not fruits and vegetables, just fruit.  If you have any doubts, see my pro-rated bill for May above.

Can you believe that's a cell phone bill? An unlimited plan no less! Little miss larger-than-her-33-pounds-of-life has taken a particular liking to hanging in a lounge chair on the weekends and dialing up relatives while catching whatever rays she can through her obsessively applied SPF 50 organic sunscreen.  Cool as I am about the phone, some things will never change!   While she does this we have made a few observations.

Mommy Testers Walmart Family Mobile Unlimited Wireless Plan #FamilyMobileSaves #cbias

Overall the Walmart Family Mobile service through T. Mobile is pretty good.  The one thing that's kind of a bummer for me is that inside of our house the voice service is not always the best.  I haven't experienced dropped calls or anything, but occasionally there is static when you're talking to someone.  

The data service is pretty quick and crazy as it sounds didn't appear to be much slower than our wifi while surfing the web.  Impressive.   And I do have to say that from Kayla's lounge chair location just twenty feet outside of our home the voice service was just fine.  Odd, but our next door neighbors experience the same issue with their Verizon service.

Mommy Testers Walmart Family Mobile Unlimited Wireless Plan #FamilyMobileSaves #cbias

One thing I really like is the account notifications you get.  I was able to see that my bill was ready and then receive confirmation when it was paid which came in the way of a text message to my phone.  Combine that with the crazy savings difference between our current $190+ monthly bill from Sprint and what would be $75 a month for the Walmart Family Mobile plan and this service looks pretty darn good.  Since I don't actually talk on my cell phone very much and mostly use it for texting, email and surfing the web I think this plan could actually work for us in the end!

Like I mentioned before, the phone I was sent to test out the service is going to get sent to Cell Phones For Soldiers.  They collect gently used cell phone donations and in turn are able to provide active duty military and veterans with talk time to communicate with family.  With the 4th of July coming up, I can't think of a better place to donate this phone.

Mommy Testers Walmart Family Mobile Unlimited Wireless Plan #FamilyMobileSaves #cbias

Kayla will no doubt be sad to be stripped of her tween privileges with that phone, but I think I have a consolation 4th of July gift for her that will help ease that burn and appeal to most 4 year old girls...patriotic pinwheel headband anyone?
Pin It button on image hover