June 24, 2013

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Hey There Big Time Rush!

Just so you know, I was invited to this Big Time Rush concert by my friends at Collective Bias.  I was neither compensated nor obligated (or even expected) to write this post, but felt there were a few things I wanted to share about this experience that a parent might value beyond the typical blogger insights of how cool it is to go places and meet people, so read on if you like! #KoolAidBTRtour #cbias

I was just finishing up some work last Friday afternoon when I got a message asking if there was any chance I wanted to go to a Big Time Rush concert Saturday evening.  Hmmmm.  Well, to be totally honest from what little I could gather about BTR,  Kayla is a little on the young side and I'm oh, about 15 years too old.

Mommy Testers Big Time Rush Summer Break Tour 2013 Meet & Greet #KoolAidBTRtour #cbias

However, I was curious to see what a heart throb boy band concert is all about these days since the last "concert" I went to was a Kanye West performance at Diane Von Furstenberg's NYC pad before he was uber famous.  No one even knew how to pronounce Kanye at the time. Yeah, it's been a minute!  

As you can gather, I'm not much of a concert going girl.  BUT I saw this Big Time Rush performance at the Del Mar Fair as an opportunity to call up a girlfriend I adore and don't get to see enough and see if she would embark on this bound-to-be-hilarious journey with me.  

Mommy Testers mom guilt induced manicure

My amazing friend Marisa was totally game.  After a minor delay due to a mom guilt induced manicure for Kayla who would be staying home we made our way to the very crazy, very fried everything filled Del Mar Fair to take on the masses and meet Big Time Rush.  Yep.  Those pretty sweet floor tickets included attending the sound check and a meet & greet.  You'd be curious too, right?

Further motivation for us was that I have friends back east who have 2 tweens that live for BTR and Marisa is part of the Big Brothers Big Sisters program - her little is a BTR fanatic or "Rusher" a term I picked up during the sound check.  We both thought it would be a good opportunity to buy some BTR gear for the fans in our lives and enjoy an afternoon of girly gabbing.  It was.  

Mommy Testers Big Time Rush Summer Break Tour 2013 Meet & Greet #KoolAidBTRtour #cbias

Marisa is one of those friends who has been there all the way through Kayla's life and has always been a breath of fresh air at my most stressed points in balancing work, travel and home life.  If there is one thing I've learned in these hectic last couple of years its that my free time is limited so I've made a point to try to spend as much of it as I can around positive, fun loving people rather than dealing with drama and headaches.  We can go months without seeing one another (which I hate) but when we do we just catch right up and it's like no time really went by.  

Mommy Testers Big Time Rush Summer Break Tour 2013 Meet & Greet #KoolAidBTRtour #cbias


So with lots of giggles we sat down at the very back row of the sound check to observe and I have to admit that I was very pleasantly surprised when the Big Time Rush guys came out on stage and started interacting with those devout fans who came out to see them.

At the risk of sounding about 100 years old I'm just going to say it.  They're a nice, well mannered and even sweet group of guys.  When I think of pop stars I think of high maintenance divas with inflated heads.  I did not get that vibe at all from this crew.  They said personal hellos to fans that they've seen multiple times along their tour and acknowledged the teeniest little fan in the crowd who must have been Kayla's age.

Mommy Testers drinks with a friend at Del Mar Fair

They sent Marisa and I into fits of giggles with some of their off the cuff humor and I found myself feeling shocked about what down to Earth guys they seemed like despite having hundreds of girls calling out to them just to get them to look their way. For a second. So they could shriek with joy.

When the actual meet & greet time came around we waited until nearly the end partly for the people watching as tweens clad in handmade puffy paint shirts bearing the band members names and song titles freaked out, but also because I really wanted to see something.  I wanted to see how these guys would be after meeting and posing with a couple hundred fans for photos.

Mommy Testers Big Time Rush Summer Break Tour 2013 Meet & Greet #KoolAidBTRtour #cbias

Surely they would be OVER it by the time they got to us, right?  Nope.  They were pleasant as can be. Quite frankly I don't know how they do it because I certainly couldn't...  Show up in a different city each day, meet a ton of people, do it all while wearing a smile and without one ounce of attitude and all the time making their fans feel genuinely welcome.

While Marisa and I got to go take a break and enjoy a frosty cocktail before their show (a true perk to being OLD) they were off dealing with who knows what and of course returned back to the stage with the same happy go lucky, just-grateful-to-be-here-doing-what-I-love vibe for the actual concert.

Oh, and just in case you were curious, they can sing.  Really really well if you ask me.  Way better than some other pop stars that need serious Auto-tune help.  So I'll just say as a old fart parent this is a group I would take my child to see and be okay with spending the money and the time to do it.  Now how frequently do you hear that?

Pin It button on image hover