May 5, 2013

Eat Cookies, Share, Help No Kid Hungry.

Just so you know, I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias®  and Kmart and Shop Your Way for Sandra Lee’s World’s Largest Bake Sale.  #WorldsLargestBakeSale #cbias #SocialFabric everything you see here is my personal and relentlessly picky opinion.

Have you met Marisa? She's my little sister and I'm proud to say will be joining Mommy Testers to help bring you more fantastic events from New York for all of my East Coast friends.  Just this week Marisa checked out the World's Largest Bake Sale, an amazing event to benefit the No Kid Hungry campaign.  Here are her thoughts and see how you can get involved and help make a difference for quite possibly one of the most important causes there is.


Mommy Testers No Kid Hungry Bake Sale #WorldsLargestBakeSale #cbias


Jillian and I are very much sisters. We can communicate entirely through movie quotes, aimlessly peruse Target for hours on end and have on multiple occasions unknowingly bought the exact same piece of clothing on opposite sides of the country. However, we are polar opposites in terms of taste buds. While healthy eating is instinctive to her with the exception of an occasional savory treat, I on the other hand am a shameless, self-proclaimed sugar fiend. So when Jillian told me about the World's Largest Bake Sale at Grand Central Station I jumped at the opportunity to attend ... like an overgrown kid in a very gourmet candy shop.

Mommy Testers No Kid Hungry Bake Sale Li-Lac Choclates  #WorldsLargestBakeSale #cbias

I was really excited to learn that the World's Largest Bake Sale wasn't just an excuse to marvel at beautiful baked goods and eat far too many cookies, but a great opportunity to give back to the community through the Food Bank of NYC and to raise awareness about Share Our Strength's No Kid Hungry Campaign. Having been very lucky to have grown up in a household where there was always an abundance of food, it's disturbing to think that millions of children in our own country may not know where their next meal is coming from or when it's coming at all.

Mommy Testers No Kid Hungry Bake Sale Cake Boss #WorldsLargestBakeSale #cbias

I couldn't wait to get to Grand Central to sample as many treats as possible while supporting a great cause.  For those who are unfamiliar with Grand Central Station, it's one of the busiest central transportation hubs in Manhattan with tens of thousands of commuters hustling about each day. It's also known for its timeless architecture, beautiful constellation ceilings and gourmet food market. Can you think of a better place to hold the World's Largest Bake Sale? I certainly cannot. Usually my trips to Grand Central involve frantic sprints to buy a train ticket and make the express train with about 30 seconds to spare, so I was really looking forward to taking my time at the event.

Mommy Testers No Kid Hungry Bake Sale Watercolor tiered cake #WorldsLargestBakeSale #cbias

I was so pleasantly surprised to see that all of my favorite NY bakeries and restaurants had set up shop. There were carrot cake doughnuts from Doughnut Plant on the Lower East Side, Oreo cookie sandwiches from Billy's Bakery in TriBeCa, baby brownies from the Fat Witch Bakery in Chelsea and even some very fancy chocolate nut confections from  Jean-Georges Vongerichten, one of the most prestigious chefs in the city! Seriously, I could give you a never-ending narrative on every baked good and bakery at the event.  I'm not someone who freaks out about seeing celebrities but I have to admit it I thought it was awesome that people like Ty Pennington were there getting their hands dirty and helping peddle cookies for this amazing cause!

Mommy Testers No Kid Hungry Bake Sale Billy's Bakery Ty Pennington #WorldsLargestBakeSale #cbias

Did you know that $5 can provide 50 meals for hungry kids?

More importantly, however, is not what I saw or ate at the event, but what I learned. Living in one of the most expensive cities in the world and working in the fashion industry tends to jade one's perception of the value of a dollar. To be honest, I've spent $5 on morning coffee on many occasions and not thought twice about the potential impact of the money I was wasting. Would I choose to feed 50 hungry kids over indulging in an over-priced, calorie-filled latte? Absolutely. Would I have known that the former option was even in the realm of possibility before attending this event? No, and that's the problem.  But we can easily change that. 

Mommy Testers No Kid Hungry Bake Sale  chalkboard #WorldsLargestBakeSale #cbias

It is so easy to help spread the word about this great initiative.   In fact, from now until May 31st each time you spread the word about Share Our Strength's No Kid Hungry Campaign through Facebook or Twitter, or share one of Sandra Lee's recipe cards,  Kmart will donate $1 to the cause, up to $10,000.  Seems like a no-brainer, right?! So please, if you've ever been like me and indulged in the $5 fancy cup of coffee take the twenty seconds it takes to share and help end childhood hunger. 
Pin It button on image hover