May 31, 2013

And then I needed coffee, stat. Thank goodness for K-Cups & Kiwi Crate!

Just so you know, I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community. I was recently asked to check out some single serving K-cup coffee options This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias and their client. #CupOfKaffe

Once a year I remind myself that my days of being 22 are over.  It comes to me in the form of attending my friend Marisa's annual birthday bash that coincides with Memorial Day weekend.  I don't know what it is about her and all of her friends that bring out the long gone carefree party-with-no-repercussions girl buried deep inside of me, but they do.

Mommy Testers  Gevalia K-Cups and Kiwi Crate #CupOfKaffe #cbias

This year I actually dodged the inevitable call to the bar for shots and didn't even drink all that much.  And the next morning I still hated life a bit.  There is something about being climbed on by a small excited person breathing in your face and saying "mom, can we do an art project now?" that just  doesn't work well under slightly fuzzy conditions at 7am.

This is where I book an appointment with my good old friend caffeine.  Because that adorable little messy haired, heavy breathing person deserves my time. And sadly, I'm definitely not twenty twoooooooh no matter how much I have that Taylor Swift song in my head.  So this weekend I felt clever when instead of measuring coffee and making a mess I just popped a little K-cup into my fancy pants single serve coffeemaker and found the Kiwi Crate I'd been hiding away for an emergency crafting situation.

Mommy Testers  Gevalia K-Cups #CupOfKaffe #cbias

Yes, I can no longer hang with the woohoo! girls and I have an emergency kiddie craft stash.  Wow, life has changed.  Anyhow, back to my emergency caffeine.  The thing about coffee, at least for me is that generally speaking I don't really like the taste of it.  In fact I was at a conference recently where someone in the breakfast line asked me if I was going to have any coffee with that milk. Ha. Ha. Ha.  Don't you love casual observations from strangers?

But there is truth in this one.  Maybe it's years of drinking NYC deli coffee (which is pretty much liquid tar) that has taught me to doctor mine up with lots of milk and sugar.  I just don't do well with the super strong, bitter taste that sometimes comes with coffee.  Twenty two year old me didn't know any better.

Mommy Testers  Gevalia K-Cups #CupOfKaffe #cbias

A couple of years ago my MIL started buying me german chocolate cake flavored coffee from Gevalia.    It only comes out once a year around the holidays and you can't buy it in stores.  It is SO GOOD.  I manage to make the couple of bags she sends me last quite some time by blending it with slightly less fabulous coffee, but the few cups I drink that are pure Gevalia are always the best.  Let me tell you, the day those bags run out is a sad, sad day in this house.

So I was happy when I found these Gevalia K-Cups while shopping because this weak coffee lover has a hard time tolerating the bitter taste from a few other common brands.  I got that K-Cup going and prepared to Kiwi Crate away with Kayla.  Our mission was to make a feather covered bird mask and some wings and she could not have been more excited.

Mommy Testers Kiwi Crate bird costume crate  #CupOfKaffe #cbias

I felt like a slightly better mom being up to the challenge, thank you very much caffeine!  And of course with the choice of 3 different beaks my child picked the one that was all Eyes Wide Shut and proceeded to tell me that if you lie your nose gets bigger.  Thanks Pinocchio and preschool friends for leaving me to debunk that myth!

After a break for breakfast we continued on and made a matching set of wings for her to swoop around the house with.  Naturally this included making squawking noises too.  A lot of squawking and begging to fly her like a bird around the living room.  Which I did and found myself exhausted after.

Mommy Testers Kiwi Crate bird costume crate  #CupOfKaffe #cbias

So later that day in keeping with the loud bird in the morning theme, I came up with these caffeinated cookies for an afternoon pick me up. There's finely ground Gevalia coffee right in the dough and  they're super easy to make.  You can see how I did it here: Cocka-Doodle-Doo Caffeinated Rooster Cookies

Mommy Testers Caffeinated rooster cookes with Gevalia K-Cups #CupOfKaffe #cbias

Pin It button on image hover