May 3, 2013

How To Make Easy Adorable Teacup Cupcakes

It's safe to say that I spend a lot of my days checking out cute things so it takes a lot for me to have an "I just have to have that moment" but it happened when I was shopping recently and came across these crazy cute teacup cupcake molds .  We celebrated Kayla's birthday a few months ago, and I only wished that we'd had these back then and found myself looking for an excuse to make cupcakes.


#BirthdayBundle,  #pmedia, Birthday Bundle, Safeway, Teacup Cupcakes, Cupcake molds, Teacup birthday cupcakes,


Regardless of when Kayla’s birthday falls I have to admit that in our house we do a lot of pretend birthdays.  My little munchkin just loves to whip up some pretend cupcakes in her play kitchen and serve them to any adult willing to play along.  So when my friends at Pollinate Media asked if I wanted to check out the Birthday Bundle at Vons I had found my perfect excuse to make these super cute cupcakes.

What’s in a Birthday Bundle?  Well, I was expecting it to be cake mix and frosting but was fairly shocked when I discovered that it was actually cake mix, frosting, a package of candles and 2 – 2 liter bottles of soda.  All for just $5.  I admit I had a bit of a head scratch moment in the baking aisle as I did mental math.  I’m not a big price comparer or coupon user when it comes to groceries but I knew this was a steal. 

#BirthdayBundle,  #pmedia, Birthday Bundle, Safeway, Teacup Cupcakes, Cupcake molds, Teacup birthday cupcakes,

I decided I would surprise Kayla with this special treat when she came home from school so back at home I got right to work.  Which as you know, when dealing with cake mix from a box is not really any work at all.  Throw some oil, water and eggs in a bowl, mix and pour.  What I had forgotten was just how good the smell of cake batter is as you are mixing it and took my sweet time stirring it so I could extend the moment. 

#BirthdayBundle,  #pmedia, Birthday Bundle, Safeway, Teacup Cupcakes, Cupcake molds, Teacup birthday cupcakes,

The little teacup cupcake molds are made of silicone, so you just pour your batter in and bake them as you normally would.  I put them on a baking sheet lined with foil for easy clean up and it worked perfectly.  I purposely filled the molds past the normal 2/3 full rule you’d use for cupcakes in the hopes of producing big puffy topped cupcakes and it worked out just fine. 

#BirthdayBundle,  #pmedia, Birthday Bundle, Safeway, Teacup Cupcakes, Cupcake molds, Teacup birthday cupcakes,


After that I took my frosting and decided to color some of it pink and some purple for fun and because I was curious to see which color Kayla would go for given her ever changing list of favorites.  With the help of my little frosting spatula I bought back when Craig and I got married it went on perfectly and I was able to achieve a perfect yet homemade feeling to the frosting.  I don’t know about you, but I don’t love those cupcakes that are piled an inch high with frosting piped out of a bag.  It’s too much, it’s too sweet and you’d be just fine with 1/3 of the amount. 

#BirthdayBundle,  #pmedia, Birthday Bundle, Safeway, Teacup Cupcakes, Cupcake molds, Teacup birthday cupcakes,

After icing those cupcakes I remembered I had some very cute little tulle picks I had bought at Target a while back and decided to add in some of those as well as put candles in the cupcakes.  One thing I have learned as a mother is that candles do not need to be lit in order to be special.  The Birthday Bundle includes a 24 pack of Betty Crocker candles and in hindsight I would have stuck a candle in each cupcake for Kayla’s friends for the full birthday effect and given Kayla one of those big special candles. 

#BirthdayBundle,  #pmedia, Birthday Bundle, Safeway, Teacup Cupcakes, Cupcake molds, Teacup birthday cupcakes,

Satisfied with my final product, which is almost never the case I decided it was time for a little break for me so I treated myself to a glass of ginger ale and decided to add some strawberries to make it a little more special.   Ginger ale is one of those things I grew up with as a child that was reserved for bribery when you were sick to get you to drink fluids.  It’s one of those obscure items that at 30 years old clearly I could just buy whenever I want to, but it still maintains it’s rare treat status in our home.

#BirthdayBundle,  #pmedia, Birthday Bundle, Safeway, Teacup Cupcakes, Cupcake molds, Teacup birthday cupcakes,

After that it was time to pick up Kayla from school.  You can imagine her excitement when she saw these cupcakes.  Clearly it doesn’t take a birthday to have a child desperate to dig in to a cupcake.  We went out for a “family date” which is what we call those nights when we eat out as a family, usually at our favorite La Jolla sushi restaurant and returned home for a treat.  And yes, as always, my child is the queen of the silly looks.

#BirthdayBundle,  #pmedia, Birthday Bundle, Safeway, Teacup Cupcakes, Cupcake molds, Teacup birthday cupcakes,

  
Mommy Testers how to make Teacup Cupcakes

Just so you know, This shop is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and SAFEWAY  but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #BirthdayBundle http://cmp.ly/3/8vNxcO.

Pin It button on image hover