April 24, 2013

Summer Dessert for Kids: A Healthy Cup of Dirt

Well oh my goodness, summer seems to be on its way!  After spending the weekend watching Kayla and her cousins splash around in the pool, play some tennis and beg for a trip to one of the ever multiplying frozen yogurt stores I started thinking about the months to come and the dozens of small children who will grace our backyard this summer.

Mommy Testers Lifeway kefir for kids, Kefir frozen treat, Lifeway Frozen Probugs, healthy cup of dirt dessert, organic cup of dirt dessert,

Our family loves a little impromptu BBQ and my go-to treat has frequently been either watermelon cut up and served on popsicle sticks (because everything is better on a stick) or the always relished miniature ice cream cones we find at Trader Joe's.  In my very unprofessional opinion, the coolest thing about blogging is that your mind is constantly thinking of cool new things you can try and how to essentially build a better mouse trap.
So when my friends over at Pollinate Media asked if I wanted to check out a frozen Kefir product from Lifeway meant for kids it was kind of a no brainer!  And I had a super fun dessert for the little ones already in mind.

Mommy Testers Lifeway kefir for kids, Kefir frozen treat, Lifeway Frozen Probugs, healthy cup of dirt dessert, organic cup of dirt dessert,

Wondering what Kefir is?  It's similar to yogurt but if you ask me there are more health benefits.   Yogurt usually gets cultured for about 2-3 hours where as Kefir is cultured for 14 to 16 hours so there are a TON more probiotics in it.  What sold me on the Lifeway version was that it's made with organic milk from grass fed cows.  Since I fork over nearly $5 for a half gallon of DHA infused organic milk it seems oh-so-silly to then go out and buy dessert treats filled with who knows what, right?

Mommy Testers Lifeway kefir for kids, Kefir frozen treat, Lifeway Frozen Probugs, healthy cup of dirt dessert, organic cup of dirt dessert,

Anyway, I had a plan.  It had come to me when Kayla and I passed a birthday party happening in the park and all the kids were eating that very classic kiddie dessert - the cup of dirt.  Usually it's chocolate pudding, crushed chocolate wafers or Oreo cookies and gummy worms.  I'd consider just one of those components to be a rare and special treat so the trio is just not even up for consideration in our home.  Mean mommy, I know.

Mommy Testers Lifeway kefir for kids, Kefir frozen treat, Lifeway Frozen Probugs, healthy cup of dirt dessert, organic cup of dirt dessert,

However, I was up for the challenge of rethinking this classic and that is exactly where the Frozen Probugs came in. I thought I'd try swapping out that sugary, nutritionless pudding for the vitamin and priobiotic filled Probugs.  I squeezed the Kefir out of the cute little tube it came in and used a frosting spatula to smooth it out. 

Then I took some Annie's organic chocolate Bunny Grahams, threw them in a plastic baggie and crushed them with a rolling pin.  They quickly became the perfect dirt for my healthy cup of dirt.

Mommy Testers Lifeway kefir for kids, Kefir frozen treat, Lifeway Frozen Probugs, healthy cup of dirt dessert, organic cup of dirt dessert,

Of course this treat wouldn't be complete without a couple of worms hanging out in the dirt so I was delighted when while picking up the Frozen Probugs at Whole Foods I saw these Surf Free gummy worms.  They're made without corn syrup which is very important to me as a mom.  Instead they are made with organic fruit juice and sweeteners.  A better choice, right?

Mommy Testers Lifeway kefir for kids, Kefir frozen treat, Lifeway Frozen Probugs, healthy cup of dirt dessert, organic cup of dirt dessert,

Wondering how these Frozen Probugs taste? So was Kayla!  Can you tell she was pretty excited when I presented her with this extra special dessert?

Mommy Testers Lifeway kefir for kids, Kefir frozen treat, Lifeway Frozen Probugs, healthy cup of dirt dessert, organic cup of dirt dessert,

She dug right in, right there on the kitchen floor.  No time to walk all the way to the table with this one.  I think Kayla was worried I might change my mind by the time she got there since it was a pretty elaborate little dessert.  

Mommy Testers Lifeway kefir for kids, Kefir frozen treat, Lifeway Frozen Probugs, healthy cup of dirt dessert, organic cup of dirt dessert,

I'd consider it a success, especially since the next day she was begging me for a "squeeze ice cream" and this time I was happy to to give in.  That's her determined-to-demolish-this-thing face below. She did.  Pretty quickly.

Mommy Testers Lifeway kefir for kids, Kefir frozen treat, Lifeway Frozen Probugs, healthy cup of dirt dessert, organic cup of dirt dessert,

Suffice to say I'll be headed back to Whole Foods to grab some more for our upcoming multi-family trip to Palm Springs!  Frozen Probugs come in 3 different flavors - Goo-Berry Pie (berry), Orange Creamy Crawler (orange) and the one we bought, Strawnana Split (strawberry banana) They also happen to be gluten free if that's something you look for!

You can check out Lifeway and their family of products on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter as well. 

Just so you know, this shop is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group™ and Lifeway Kefir.  Everything you see here is my personal and picky opinion! #pmedia ##kefirprobugs http://cmp.ly/3/8vNxcO
Pin It button on image hover