April 9, 2013

Step2 All Around Wagon. Wagon, stroller, stuff schlepper, balloon pit. Float. I could go on.

I swear that the people at Step2 really like to send send pink vehicles our way because a few weeks ago this very cute, very pink All Around Wagon showed up at my front door, and as you can imagine there was a very excited little person waiting for it.
Mommy Testers Step2, Step2 test drive mom, step2 test drive blogger 2013, Step2 all around wagon, how to turn a wagon into a float, Step2 all around wagon review

You know I'm a Test Drive Blogger for Step2, and not too long ago we received the brand spanking new Easy Turn Coupe, which Kayla is still very much in love with.  However like most people,  Kayla is a sucker for a new box bearing a gift and immediately wanted to know when it was coming out of the box and could she please help put the wagon together NOW. 



With a little bit of dread regarding her offer of help I said yes.  Dread because inevitably a screw goes missing and I spend ten minutes on my hands and knees searching our flokati rugs for it before the dog finds it and we find ourselves at the vet getting an X-ray that costs more than it would if a human were having it.

Mommy Testers Step2, Step2 test drive mom, step2 test drive blogger 2013, Step2 all around wagon, how to turn a wagon into a float, Step2 all around wagon review

I admit I agreed to the offer of help because the All Around Wagon actually doesn't have a ton of parts that require assembly.  It's not like you just snap two pieces together and you're done, but relative to most of the things I have assembled, this is an easy one.  You've got 4 wheels, 2 of which are on a fixed axle and two of which are swivel wheels.  Beyond that it's just popping the little storage trunk in place, attaching the handle and screwing on the seat belts.

Yes I said seat belts and I love that this wagon includes them because we all know that little kids just love to look over the side while riding in anything and I've seen quite a few kids in wagons at Sea World about to go overboard.

Mommy Testers Step2, Step2 test drive mom, step2 test drive blogger 2013, Step2 all around wagon, how to turn a wagon into a float, Step2 all around wagon review

Now about those seats, I like that they can either be left as you see them above to allow for two children to sit comfortably or you can flip them down if you want a level area to put all of your stuff to haul to the beach.  I think it's neat that you can create two separate areas using them.  For example I'd put wet and sand covered toys in that bottom section, flip down the seats and then put the rest of our things on top so we didn't wind up with a giant jumble of damp sandy stuff!

Mommy Testers Step2, Step2 test drive mom, step2 test drive blogger 2013, Step2 all around wagon, how to turn a wagon into a float, Step2 all around wagon review

Also, flipping one side down allows a child traveling alone to use the opposite side of the wagon as a tray for snacking or toys.  Speaking of snacks and toys, one of my favorite features of the All Around Wagon is the very secure locking trunk that ensures you won't be leaving a trail of your child's stuff along the way as you travel.  The little push down mechanism is both easy to operate and pretty sturdy.

Mommy Testers Step2, Step2 test drive mom, step2 test drive blogger 2013, Step2 all around wagon, how to turn a wagon into a float, Step2 all around wagon review

And the trunk holds a pretty decent amount of stuff.  I was able to get some of Kayla's favorite snacks, a bathing suit, a couple of sand toys and her goggles in the trunk with room left over for my keys, wallet and cell phone.

Mommy Testers Step2, Step2 test drive mom, step2 test drive blogger 2013, Step2 all around wagon, how to turn a wagon into a float, Step2 all around wagon review

Since we're on the topic of things that open and close I think it's worth mentioning that the All Around Wagon has a little open and close door that locks.  It's a nice option versus teaching your kids to climb in and out over the side.  Establishing that they can go in when you open the door and it's time to buckle up when it's closed is a nice habit for them to learn from an early age.

Mommy Testers Step2, Step2 test drive mom, step2 test drive blogger 2013, Step2 all around wagon, how to turn a wagon into a float, Step2 all around wagon review

So now you're probably wondering how the ride on the All Around Wagon is.  I'd say it's pretty nice!  It's a faily large wagon, so it's not like it turns on a dime the way the Easy Turn Coupe does.  Still, the swivel wheels give it good maneuverability.  I was able to make the nice 90 degree turn from our walkway to the front door around my car parked in the driveway without bumping anything.

Because of the large wheels it handles drops like from the doorway to the ground quite well for a wagon and without the giant THUD I was expecting.  We live on a giant mountain, so taking it down the sidewalk to the cul-de-sac was not the easiest thing in the world, but it wasn't unmanageable either.

Mommy Testers Step2, Step2 test drive mom, step2 test drive blogger 2013, Step2 all around wagon, how to turn a wagon into a float, Step2 all around wagon review

The Whisper Wheels that Step2 is famous for seem to do a nice job of minimizing that otherwise loud crunching noise you get from standard plastic tires, so I always look to buy ride on toys that have those.

And so I have some pretty big plans for the All Around Wagon.  A good friend recently let me know that there is a little 4th of July parade that goes on not too far away where all the kids can sit in their own "floats" which are really just decorated wagons and go down a little street that's closed off.  It's obviously nothing HUGE, but it sounds like the perfect conditions to give amateur float making a try and this little pink wagon seems just perfect for two 4 year old girls to ride in!


And now I am just itching to know the theme for the parade.  Apparently there is one every year and years past include things like Dr. Seuss.  I'll be off to order more crepe paper and supplies to decorate my heart out and of course share with you as soon as I find out!

Just so you know, I am a Step2 Test Drive Blogger.  That means Step2 sends me products to check out and review, like this All Around Wagon.  I do not receive any monetary compensation or other compensation from Step2...that is, except for praise and giggles from my child :)

Watch Kayla boss me around in her  All Around Wagon and enjoy some snacks :)

Pin It button on image hover