April 14, 2013

Perhaps He Shouldn't Have To Eat Like A 4 Year Old Girl

There is something that my husband has been doing for as long as I can remember that I just find adorable.  In fact, my mom even commented on it while she was visiting and staying with us one time.  Every morning you can hear Craig poking around the kitchen packing his little snacks for the day.  I crack up when I see the things that he puts in little baggies.

#cbias, Raybern's, Raybern's New York Deli Style Sandwiches, fast philly cheesesteak

Five gummy bears here.  One Milano cookie there.  A handful of Goldfish in this one.  Seriously, he is like a gigantic 7 year old.  I think the thing that is most hysterical is watching the look on his face as he methodically does this at 5am.  Questioning whether to go for a few extra gummy bears or not.  At the risk of having to sleep in the guest bedroom tonight I'll say that I think this is when he appears to be deepest in thought.  

I can't say I blame the guy because Craig is an institutional trader and that means he is practically chained to his desk during the working day.  Like I've mentioned before, living in San Diego is nothing like living in NY.  I used to never leave my desk and work crazy hours, often till 8 or 9 pm.  But it didn't matter because I could have anything delivered to my office at any hour of the day.  Not so much here.  My better half puts major thought into what he brings to work because it's pretty much all he's got  for the day.

#cbias, Raybern's, Raybern's New York Deli Style Sandwiches, fast philly cheesesteak

The other week as I was packing lunch for Craig and for Kayla I realized that it was kind of sad that I was making practically identical sandwiches for a 4 year old girl and a grown man.  Clearly my husband could use a more manly sandwich.  So when my friends at Collective Bias asked if I wanted to check out some deli sandwich options my answer was a resounding yes and thank you for reading my mind.

I'm not sure how it is in the rest of the country, but here in SoCal where most people are transplants there is a high demand for things that feel authentically East Coast.  We want REAL bagels and deli sandwiches that have shredded lettuce and a house vinaigrette made by a guy who was born into the business.  I've been known to fly across the country with a bag of black and white cookies clutching them like precious cargo and choosing to check my bag full of electronics instead.  Crazy, I know.

#cbias, Raybern's, Raybern's New York Deli Style Sandwiches, fast philly cheesesteak

So, when I saw these Raybern's New York Deli Style sandwiches in a place I wouldn't expect to find them - Walmart I was surprised.  As you may have observed, they look like the real deal and just required heating for about a minute and a half.  The Philly cheesesteak may not have NY origins, but I believe at this point it's been grandfathered in as one of the NY street-food food groups along with hot pretzels, hot dogs and those roasted nuts that always smell better than they taste.  

After much debating about which flavors to try I picked out a few varieties of these cheesesteaks to bring home, grabbed some additional lunch accoutrement and headed back to the house to see how they tasted.

#cbias, Raybern's, Raybern's New York Deli Style Sandwiches, fast philly cheesesteak


I pulled out a basic Philly cheesesteak and microwaved it for just over 1 minute.  The instructions say to heat it for 1 1/2 minutes but we've got a crazy high power microwave.  You know me - leery of anything meant to be microwaved so I was admittedly nervous to try the Raybern's sandwich.  When it came out the bread was a little softer than I would have liked it to be so I decided to let it sit for a minute before trying it.  

That was definitely the right decision because it gave the bread a chance to lose a little steam.  Having eaten breakfast not too long before this whole test drive I wasn't incredibly hungry, but decided I'd have a bite or two since it was really Craig who would decide if this sandwich was worth keeping around.  One bite turned into six along with a large dog sniffing furiously at the kitchen counter and licking his chops.  

#cbias, Raybern's, Raybern's New York Deli Style Sandwiches, fast philly cheesesteak

The cheese to meat to bread proportions seem spot on to me and the steak is sliced paper thin like it should be.  I wrapped up the other half so it could wait for the real test, the hungry man test and sure enough it wasn't long before Craig entered the kitchen and started rooting around in the fridge.  At least some things in life are predictable.  So the Raybern's sandwich got a second reheat but didn't live to tell the story.  Not because it didn't survive the reheat- it sure did,  but because it was quickly gobbled up declared "really good" and then I was quizzed on the other flavor varieties.

#cbias, Raybern's, Raybern's New York Deli Style Sandwiches, fast philly cheesesteak

Fortunately I had brought home a few different kinds of sandwiches like a Philly pizza cheesesteak and a chicken Philly cheesesteak.  Philly pizza cheesesteak?  Yep.  I've never had one of those but now I'm pretty darn curious!  I like that there are chicken options too if you're not a big red meat eater. Most importantly Craig likes that he has a nice addition to his lunch repertoire and for lack of a better way to phrase it - he no longer has to eat like a 4 year old girl :)

Just so you know, I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias® #cbias #SocialFabric everything you see here is my personal and picky opinion.  My even pickier husband is super excited about lunch this week! 
Pin It button on image hover