April 16, 2013

Living Room Skating - A mother daughter bonding moment courtesy of the Target Dollar Section

It's no secret that I love myself a trip to the Target dollar section AKA See Spot Save.  In fact as soon as I walk through the doors of Target I have tunnel vision and whatever my child or my spouse might be saying to me sounds like the adult voices in the Peanuts movies.  All I hear is wah-wah-wah-wah-wah as I pull out my cart from the stack and make a beeline to my happy place.

Target dollar section, see spot save, mr bubble socks, skating on hardwood floors, mother daughter matching socks

Usually I buy craft supplies, wrapping paper and little coloring books and toys to throw in my bag to keep Kayla entertained on car rides and while dining out.  A while back I saw these Mr. Bubble socks and got all nostalgic.  Usually I only think of the dollar section for little kid socks, but nope they had Kayla's size and my size.  I threw them in my cart, went on my merry way buying nothing that was on my list and everything that wasn't (average Target trip, right?) and promptly forgot about those socks.



Target dollar section, see spot save, mr bubble socks, skating on hardwood floors, mother daughter matching socks

The night before Easter I was up late working and it wasn't until I started seeing the Facebook feed of everyone posting what the Easter Bunny had brought after their kids went to sleep that I realized perhaps I should stop working and make sure the bunny remembered to stop at our home and not crush the dreams of my child who has been trained to think that even the most insignificant holiday is something to be fussed over.

While filling her basket up with a big Lalaloopsy doll (ignored) some fancy dress up necklaces (also ignored) some gardening tools from the Target dollar section (loved) and a $1 stuffed animal frog (winner!) I also stumbled upon these socks.  I stuffed them in the basket as an after thought and went to sleep.

Target dollar section, see spot save, mr bubble socks, skating on hardwood floors, mother daughter matching socks

I seriously underestimated the magic of mother daughter matching socks because my child went positively nuts over them.  We both put them on and Kayla was just plain psyched.  "Mom...look mom, we are MATCHING!!!" I think I heard that phrase about 20 times in a 5 minute period.  And I went with the level of excitement and let her lead.  We spent a good 15 minutes laying on the floor just checking out our feet.  I have REALLY big feet.  Her observation.

Then because it was one of the only times her overly paranoid mother has ever let her wear socks that don't have grippers (greepers as pronounced by Kayla) on the bottom she began to skate across the living room floor.  And for a moment I became the biggest child of all and challenged her to a skating contest.  We made speed skating style laps around the living room area rug going faster and faster with highly exaggerated arm motions and continuous laughter.

Target dollar section, see spot save, mr bubble socks, skating on hardwood floors, mother daughter matching socks

Finally we collapsed on the floor.  I was completely exhausted and it was only 7:40am.  And then I realized, this might have been the most fun we have ever had before 8am and that needs to change. It was a welcomed reminder that while the mornings can be rushed I can also make sure that I make a little more time for fun with my one and only.  Now if you'll excuse me, we're off to help our neighbors plant their vegetable garden before school!  An Epic Tuesday morning for sure and we'll be putting those dollar section tools to good use.  Thanks Target dollar section.
Pin It button on image hover