April 11, 2013

It's Fancy Pants Salad Time! Kale Salad with Pomegranate Seeds and Baked Goat Cheese #FreshTake #cbias

I have a secret to share.  Much like how I dress high and low and mix expensive designer duds with finds from "Tar-jey" I do it with dinner too.  Especially when entertaining.  Cooking for a group brings on a whole new host of problems.  It involves timing, mass portions and the feat of serving.  Over the last few years I've noticed that my biggest error is making too many complicated things that all have to be prepared on the spot, thus sending me into a kitchen tailspin and not allowing time to actually enjoy my friends.

Mommy Testers #CBias, #FreshTake, Baked goat cheese salad recipe, pomegranate salad recipe, Kraft Fresh Take

But now that I'm getting (very) old and (sort of) smart I'm learning to cook the same way I dress.  Make one or two fancy pants dishes that everyone will remember and keep everything else super simple.  What's the easiest thing to make that's visually appealing, can usually be prepped before hand and feeds a group?  A big salad!  It satisfies the "Oh I'm on a diet" guest, the inevitable vegetarian, the hungry men folk who can't wait for a main course and the friend who just doesn't eat...ever.  I swear there is one in every group!



Mommy Testers #CBias, #FreshTake, Baked goat cheese salad recipe, pomegranate salad recipe, Kraft Fresh Take

Remember how I told you my friends at Collective Bias asked me if I wanted to check out Fresh Take, a new product from Kraft and I made those yummy baked avocado fries?  They were so easy to do I had to try something else too.  One thing I love ordering in restaurants is a goat cheese salad and I thought Fresh Take would be perfect for coating the goat cheese, baking it and making my own little high-end restaurant style salad at home.

Mommy Testers #CBias, #FreshTake, Baked goat cheese salad recipe, pomegranate salad recipe, Kraft Fresh Take

All I did was cut the goat cheese into medallions, pressed the Fresh Take mixture onto the goat cheese and placed them onto a baking sheet with a piece of non-stick aluminum foil on it.  I Baked those at about 300 degrees for 6-8 minutes.  While that was cooking I whipped out a bag of kale.  Yes, I buy mine pre-chopped and bagged for sake of ease.  I dumped that into a big salad bowl and then made my easy lemon, garlic dressing. 

Mommy Testers #CBias, #FreshTake, Baked goat cheese salad recipe, pomegranate salad recipe, Kraft Fresh Take

I'm lucky that my neighbors have a lemon tree which produces an excess of lemons because they are always sending them my way and I use quite a few of them making this dressing.  I use the juice of 1-2 lemons for this salad.  You can change that up to suit your own tastes.  My husband always prefers more lemon on his.

Mommy Testers #CBias, #FreshTake, Baked goat cheese salad recipe, pomegranate salad recipe, Kraft Fresh Take

After juicing the lemons I put about 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil in a small pan on medium heat and let it start to heat up. I chop up about 4 cloves of garlic and  toss those in.  Just let the garlic cook enough so it loses its bite, but be sure not to let it burn or it will get bitter. 

Mommy Testers #CBias, #FreshTake, Baked goat cheese salad recipe, pomegranate salad recipe, Kraft Fresh Take

When you remove the garlic and olive oil from the stove you can just pour the lemon juice right into the pan, give it a stir and pour that all over the kale.  The thing about kale is it needs to get a little abuse to ease its rigid very cruchy texture.  After pouring the dressing in I do a lot of tossing with a couple of spoons to get the kale evenly coated and tenderized.  

Mommy Testers #CBias, #FreshTake, Baked goat cheese salad recipe, pomegranate salad recipe, Kraft Fresh Take

After that I add in what I'll call a skimpy 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes for a tiny little kick.  Obviously this is optional and something I'd probably skip if I thought I could get Kayla would eat this salad.  Right now it's really a "grown up food" in our house.  Mix the pepper flakes in with a few more tosses of the whole salad.  

Mommy Testers  how to deseed a pomegranate #CBias, #FreshTake, Baked goat cheese salad recipe, pomegranate salad recipe, Kraft Fresh Take

Next you'll grab your pomegranate and deseed it.  I have seen those packages in the store of just seeds for $3 or $4. I think they're....meh.  I totally would have bought them before I learned how to deseed a pomegranate super quickly.  Now I'll never go back again.  If you want the trick, you can see it here.  Mind blown.  Trust me. 

Pour your bowl of pomegranate seeds over the middle of your salad.  At this point your goat cheese should be baked and cooling off a little.  Use a flexible spatula to take them off of the baking sheet and plop them on top of your salad.  You'll have a yummy, restaurant style salad in just about 10 minutes.  Not bad, right?

Mommy Testers #CBias, #FreshTake, Baked goat cheese salad recipe, pomegranate salad recipe, Kraft Fresh Take


Want to know more about  Fresh Take? Watch for the Kraft Fresh Possibilities Tour truck which will be making stops across the country from March through the end of July. To see if they are making a stop in your town you can check this website: Fresh Possibilities Tour

Just so you know, I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias®  and Kraft Foods #FreshTake #cbias #SocialFabric everything you see here is my personal and picky opinion.
Pin It button on image hover