April 8, 2013

Go on, have some fries! The best baked avocado fries #FreshTake

You know me, always scheming and thinking up ways to get this crew to eat more fruits and vegetables.  Lately I've seen a few recipes out there for baked avocado fries and since they haven't become as popular as the once loathed brussel sprouts that are popping up in restaurants everywhere I knew I'd have to make them myself first before sampling a real chef's work.

Mommy Testers easy baked avocado fries recipe with #FreshTake #cbias

Like I've mentioned before, I was not born as any kind of domestic goddess.  In fact I was quite the opposite and when this NYC girl moved to the San Diego suburbs I was in for a shock.  Not so many take out options.  Delivery?  Nearly non-existent.  So in the interest of my family not starving to death or living out of a drive through (oh the horror!) I have slowly been learning how to cook.




The problem with all of these baked avocado recipes? Um, they call for a ton of spices I don't own and have several steps for coating the avocados.  At that point I might as well turn out a fabulous chicken parmagiana recipe and get real praise from my better half.  So, when my friends over at Collective Bias asked me if I wanted to test drive Kraft's new product, Fresh Take I knew exactly what I'd be cooking...2 step baked avocado fries!

Mommy Testers easy baked avocado fries recipe with #FreshTake #cbias

Just 2 steps and 2 ingredients.  I picked up some Cheddar Jack & Bacon Fresh Take at Walmart and bought some giant Haas avocados.  The most important thing is to make sure your avocados are still a bit hard.  Since you'll be baking them and abusing them a bit in the process of coating them, trust me - you don't want soft smushy avocados.

Mommy Testers easy baked avocado fries recipe with #FreshTake #cbias

Split your avocados in half and then use a knife to create slices.  Cut around the perimeter of the avocado too so you can easily pop all the pieces out.  Since the avocados will be harder than you're probably used to you'll have to put a little bit more muscle into this and be careful you don't pierce the skin and your hand!

Mommy Testers easy baked avocado fries recipe with #FreshTake #cbias

When you pop the Fresh Take bag open you'll see there is a divided pouch with cheese on one side and flavored bread crumbs on the other.  You'll want to pull the pouch apart to let them mix together and then seal up the bag and give it a few good shakes.

If I was using the Fresh Take for chicken or fish I'd leave it in the bag for quick clean up and because by simply shaking the chicken or fish would get coated easily since they are more wet and sticky than avocados.

Mommy Testers easy baked avocado fries recipe with #FreshTake #cbias

Since I knew it would take a little more work to get the avocados breaded I put it in a wide bowl so I could easily get my hands in the bowl to push the coating onto the avocados.  Again, this is where having them be a little less ripe helps.

Mommy Testers easy baked avocado fries recipe with #FreshTake #cbias

I coated the avocados but didn't obsess about making sure every square inch was covered.  Personally I like the food I'm eating to still be identifiable as the original main ingredient.  Then I put the avocados on a baking sheet covered with some non-stick aluminum foil.  At this point the dog was at my feet with his snout is full on periscope mode trying to assess what was happening up on the kitchen counter and quite frankly I was at a similar level of eagerness.

Mommy Testers easy baked avocado fries recipe with #FreshTake #cbias

I baked them in my little counter top oven for 15 minutes at 400 degrees and they came out just right.   The bacon taste mixed with the avocado and the cheese was pretty awesome!  You can add some ketchup for dipping or make the scallion dip I made a few weeks ago.

This was super fast and easy and makes an exciting side without the guilt of eating fried potatoes.   I can totally see adding them into fish tacos the next time we do taco night for a nice twist.

Mommy Testers easy baked avocado fries recipe with #FreshTake #cbias

Having little short cuts like this take the stress out of experimenting in the kitchen for beginners like me.  In fact, I got so inspired that I've got another great recipe coming your way this week that uses Fresh Take to make a pretty fancy little salad for your next dinner party along with a super smart kitchen tip!

Want to know more about  Fresh Take? Watch for the Kraft Fresh Possibilities Tour truck which will be making stops across the country from March through the end of July. To see if they are making a stop in your town you can check this website: Fresh Possibilities Tour

Just so you know, I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias®  and Kraft Foods #FreshTake #cbias #SocialFabric everything you see here is my personal and picky opinion.
Pin It button on image hover