April 30, 2013

A Transitional Nightlight? Yes It Does Exist and It's Downright Adorable

A few months ago I got a package from my friends over at Munchkin.  Inside was the lullavibe which I've already told you how I feel about.  There was also this little guy.   He's pretty cute, huh?  In an effort to give you good information I wanted to make sure we spent plenty of time with "Owl" as he is so creatively called in our home.

Munchkin light my way nightlight, Munchkin Owl nightlight, transitional nightlight, battery conserving nightlight

You see, I have been burned by quite a few nightlights in my day and if there is a lesson I have learned from that it's don't declare anything a success until you've lived with it for at least a couple of months.  At first I found myself skeptical about this owl.  It's not the traditional night light that most of us are used to.

The Munchkin Light My Way Nightlight doesn't stay on all night.   That's why I'll call it transitional.  In my opinion it's probably not for the youngest children who might freak out if left in total darkness, but is great for older kids who need a little bit of a crutch to help them get to sleep.  It has a timer that turns off after 20 minutes.  You can turn the owl back on via a little orange button on the bottom of it, but it doesn't provide light all night long. I wasn't quite sure how I felt about that and I was even less sure about how Kayla would feel about that.

However, the timing of it's arrival could not have been more perfect because this nightlighthad just died on us and quite frankly I had HAD IT with the company we bought it from because it was the third or fourth one we had gone through.  I had originally bought the problematic nightlight because of the rechargeable feature and the fact that your child can sleep with it.  Clearly the whole rechargeable aspect was neat in concept and not so neat in execution because I could not get one to last more than a few months.  

Munchkin light my way nightlight, Munchkin Owl nightlight, transitional nightlight, battery conserving nightlight

I tried to purchase a quick replacement at Target - one of those cute little animal shaped ones they sell by the kids bedding section and found myself utterly disappointed when I brought it home only to see it produce a less than sufficient glow. 

With about 30 other things on my list to get through during the day I decided not to make a trip hunting for a replacement night light and to test out this owl and see how it went over.  Kayla was immediately drawn to it's cute look and was very excited that she could sleep with it in her bed.  That's right, the way this light is designed, your child can snuggle up with it (though it is hard plastic) and have it be right next to them.  

Munchkin light my way nightlight, Munchkin Owl nightlight, transitional nightlight, battery conserving nightlight

Rather than having a cord it uses three AAA batteries which are included in the package.  So you're thinking well how long can those possibly last, right?  Well, several months later and ours is still going just fine.  And obviously the batteries in the package aren't fancy name brand batteries either.  Because the light turns off on a timer it really conserves batteries.  And I love that it's easy to travel with - no cords and desperately trying to find an outlet near where your child is sleeping. 

So how did that whole auto-turnoff thing work out?  I'll be honest, the first night I think Kayla was amused and stayed up late turning the button back on several times.  Now, it seems the Owl does a pretty good job of signaling to her that it's time to go to sleep.  When he shuts off, she rarely turns him back on and usually I only here babbling about the day's events for a few more minutes before she drifts off to sleep. 

Munchkin light my way nightlight, Munchkin Owl nightlight, transitional nightlight, battery conserving nightlight

And when I turned the flash on my camera on while taking that glowing owl picture at the top of this post, look at who was smiling up a storm down below.  I've never seen a kid love a nightlight so much.   Yep, the owl is a keeper and he's coming with us on yet another trip soon! 

Think you might want to try out this cute little guy?  You can check him out here: Munchkin Light My Way Nightlight
Pin It button on image hover