March 11, 2013

Quick St. Patrick's Day Breakfast - no marshmallows, no food coloring!

St. Patrick's Day healthy breakfast, St. Patrick's day paper straws, Dye free breakfast, green juice food coloring

This time of year I see a whole lot of Lucky Charms and things dyed green with food coloring.  I get it. It's easy and kids love that stuff.  But for me I just don't even want to go down the Lucky Charms path by bringing a box into the house because I'd like to keep marshmallows out of breakfast for small children.  There are enough class parties filled with junk for them to get their fill at already.

(Edit: after coming back from preschool drop off to finish writing this I discovered Kayla's class having a Lucky Charms snack...so really I swear they are going to get their fill somewhere)

St. Patrick's Day healthy breakfast, St. Patrick's day paper straws, Dye free breakfast, green juice food coloring

For older children it might not be such a negotiable thing but I think for little kids you can easily take something healthy and make it seem fun.  Rather than jumping on the marshmallows in the morning bandwagon I filled some brightly colored cupcake wrappers with multi-grain Cheerios and gave Kayla 3 different colors.  That elicited a "wow- cool!"

St. Patrick's Day healthy breakfast, St. Patrick's day paper straws, Dye free breakfast, green juice food coloring

Then because literally everyone I know is on a green juice cleanse kick I made some green juice and used that to color this milk green.  It's slightly harder than using food coloring but at least it made me feel like I wasn't totally negating my attempt at a healthy-ish breakfast.  Make it more healthy by tossing some fruit in there...I would of but someone (I won't name names) was having a bit of a fit about not wanting gold coin mangos in hers.  PS Mangos are so easy to cut into shapes.  Just rise the cap from a milk container and use it as a cookie cutter to make gold coins from a thin slice :)

The ultimate finishing touch was this leprechaun mustache straw from Target.  I can't lie, I was jealous of her and used one myself later in the day.  It seems that Target has tuned into paper straw cuteness because I just saw some cute Easter straws the other day while back there yet again!

Want some paper straw options without having to leave your home?  There are a bunch right here: cute paper straws
Pin It button on image hover