February 21, 2013

What's your breakfast looking like these days?

When I think of breakfast my mind wanders to beautiful plates of eggs that have been lovingly prepared  and are accompanied by seasonal fruit, buttered toast and the occasional serving of bacon.  Okay, so maybe that's a reality once a week in our home.  It's also always on a weekend because during the week it's physically impossible for us to sit down as a family and eat that first meal of the day together.

MommyTesters easy breakfast from Safeway Vons #cbias #BreakfastSavings

My husband works stock market hours and living in California means trading starts at 6:30am so he's out the door by 5:30.  In fact, I really don't know what the man eats for breakfast most of the time.  Now that Kayla FINALLY sleeps till 6:30 or 7:00ish  I usually try to sneak in a quick breakfast for myself before she gets up so I can focus on getting her ready for school.

I'm not sure about you, but for me that usually means it's a meal eaten standing.  By my calculations if you have a child under the age of one it's almost certainly done while standing AND juggling a baby.  For me it's also usually eaten while tackling several other things at the same time like checking email, packing the lunch I should have packed the night before (yet again) or writing out my always growing to-do list for the day.

MommyTesters easy breakfast from Safeway Vons #cbias #BreakfastSavings peanut butter english muffin

When you're doing that five days a week it's pretty easy to find yourself stuck in a boring-bowl-of-cereal with skim milk or English muffin with butter rut.   It's also easy to completely ignore things like portion size when you're not really paying attention to what you're eating.

Did you know most serving sizes for cereal is 3/4 cup?  Have you ever actually measured out your cereal?  Because I did recently and realized it's pretty easy to pour 2-3 times that amount into a bowl without realizing it.  Especially if you have big cereal bowls like I do.  Looks kinda sad, right?

MommyTesters easy breakfast from Safeway Vons #cbias #BreakfastSavings cereal portion sizes

So how about pouring that cereal into a mug.  I know it sounds a little silly, but it'll seem like more and you'll be less likely to double up servings.  I recently picked up this new Honey Nut Cheerios medley which is like a hybrid between Honey Nut Cheerios and one of those cereals with flakes and clusters in it.  To up that vitamin intake I've been throwing in different fruit like bananas, strawberries, blackberries and raisins.  

MommyTesters easy breakfast from Safeway Vons #cbias #BreakfastSavings fruit for cereal



No fruit laying around? I am guilty of getting to the point when all we have left are a few wrinkly looking strawberries and bananas that look like they've been to war before heading out for a fruit run.  How about grabbing a glass of orange juice?  


MommyTesters easy breakfast from Safeway Vons #cbias #BreakfastSavings cereal in a mug and orange juice

One of my good friends has orange trees growing in her backyard and makes her own juice.  Suffice to say I'm completely jealous.  Perhaps one day when we do a backyard makeover.  Until then I've been loving Simply Orange.  In a huge rush or work outside the home and have to take breakfast to-go?  Then bag the cereal and grab one of these single cute single serving bottles.  I didn't realize that each one has about 60% of the calcium and 25% of the vitamin D you need each day.  

MommyTesters easy breakfast from Safeway Vons #cbias #BreakfastSavings simply orange and Honey Nut Cheerios Medley

Speaking of in a rush, one of my little sisters turned me on to Kind bars and they're beyond yummy plus often gluten free and without lots of added junk.  On a recent trip to Vons I was pretty surprised to find them cheaper there than any other store I had seen them in so I grabbed a few.  Paired with some Silk soy milk and a banana it makes a pretty well rounded breakfast to go.  


MommyTesters easy breakfast from Safeway Vons #cbias #BreakfastSavings Silk soy milk with fruit and Kind bar

Coffee lover?  I've moved towards tea lately but recently picked up some Maxwell House coffee because it's what my parents always drank and I'm expecting them to make a visit to San Diego soon.  I was surprised to see that they now make K-Cups! 


MommyTesters easy breakfast from Safeway Vons #cbias #BreakfastSavings Peanut Butter Apples Maxwell House coffee

Just like the peanut butter whole wheat English muffin above, these apples are a nice way to get some extra plant derived protein into your morning. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that none of these ideas are revolutionary concepts BUT I feel like I always see these complicated breakfast ideas in magazines that look awesome but are completely unrealistic for most of us so all of these can be put together in three minutes or less and mixed and matched to make a bunch of quick combinations.  

Want to know how you can help give a good breakfast to a child that otherwise might go hungry? See what Kellogg's is doing to share breakfast.  It's as easy as a couple clicks of your mouse and bound to change a child in need's day!


MommyTesters easy breakfast from Safeway Vons #cbias #BreakfastSavings Kelloggs Share Breakfast


Just so you know, I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  This content has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias® and Safeway #cbias #SocialFabric Everything you see here is my personal and super picky opinion.
Pin It button on image hover