February 19, 2013

Tea time is ME time! Wait - there is me time?

The other day I found myself in the position of being asked "what do you do in your free time?" Hmmm...well that is an excellent question!  I'm not quite sure where free time fits into my schedule.  Maybe it's those 10 minutes of picking my brain for dinner ideas, turning to Pinterest for guidance and getting distracted by blissfully organized looking home offices, pantries and the apple of my green-with-envy eyes, fancy laundry rooms.  Perhaps it's when I show up to preschool drop off with makeup on, implying I got my 3-5 minutes of solace in the morning.

Mommy Testers me time with Bigelow vanilla chai tea and girl scout cookie blondies #cbias

Before I had Kayla my favorite free time activity was very slowly drinking a cup of coffee while enjoying a good book in the quiet of my NYC apartment.  By quiet I mean on the corner of 8th avenue, so subject to constant honking cabs and blaring sirens, but it's all relative really. Plus, any mother knows that sirens are nothing compared to a crying baby so long as they don't threaten to wake up your sleeping child.

Mommy Testers me time with Bigelow vanilla chai tea and girl scout cookie blondies #cbias

Anyhow, this question of my free time or "me time" really got me thinking of how I can incorporate a few minutes here and there into my day.  Recently I've cut way back on coffee and started drinking tea to avoid getting jittery...which doesn't really help when a large part of your job is staying focused and writing.  However, while I tend to associate tea with fancy china, feeling zen and teeny tiny sandwiches mine is predominantly consumed out of a to-go mug while running around like a maniac in the morning.  Yes, not so zen or ladylike.

Mommy Testers me time with Bigelow vanilla chai tea from Target and girl scout cookie blondies #cbias

So I decided I would actually make myself stop multi-tasking and enjoy that cup of tea even if it was for only five minutes.  I even bought myself this little tea bag holder on a trip to Target as a reminder that this was supposed to be for enjoyment and not a rushed thing.

Day one was an epic failure.  My phone was blowing up with notifications from all social media outlets and since taking care of that stuff is a part of my job,  I didn't even think twice about obsessing over my phone.  Day two was considerably better.  I thumbed through an issue of Cooking Light and put my phone on silent.  And on day three I effectively became my mother (in a good way) by tackling a little home decor project I had wanted to doand had been putting on the back burner for at least a month.

Mommy Testers me time with Bigelow vanilla chai tea and a DIY terrarium centerpiece #cbias

After enjoying my vanilla chai tea (yep, Bigelow makes a vanilla chai) and totally indulging with some homemade Girl Scout cookie blondies...post coming soon, pinkie swear!  I found myself in a mode of actually wanting to do something that wasn't for Kayla, wasn't for my husband and really was just because I wanted to do it.

Mommy Testers me time with Bigelow vanilla chai tea and a DIY terrarium centerpiece #cbias

A little while back I picked up this awesome vessel at a fancy La Jolla gardening store where I opted to buy just the terrarium and not the gorgeous but crazy overpriced succulents in their pre-made ones.  Instead, I bought a couple of plants at a local grocer for $3 each and vowed to take advantage of the neat ground cover that's been growing in our backyard.  Totally something my mom would do and make look amazing.

Mommy Testers me time with Bigelow vanilla chai tea and a DIY terrarium centerpiece #cbias

Living in San Diego it's pretty incredible what you can find growing on your property, like these birds of paradise that flourish without irrigation or love from yours truly.  If you've ever bought them on the East Coast you know they cost an arm and a leg per stem.    

Mommy Testers me time with Bigelow vanilla chai tea and a DIY terrarium centerpiece #cbias

Lately I've seen this delicate feeling ground cover growing and decided to whip out the one shovel we own and harvest some for my experiment in indoor gardening.  By experiment I mean yet another attempt to not kill a plant left in my care because they don't bark, talk or cry and therefore I forget to water them.  So succulents, which are plants designed to live with very little water or mindful gardening seemed like the perfect stepping stone in flora responsibility for me.  

Mommy Testers me time with Bigelow vanilla chai tea and a DIY terrarium centerpiece #cbias

I made myself a little potters bench by covering my kitchen counter top with some kraft paper so I could  have a nice workspace and toss the mess in the recycling bin after.  Transplanting the succulents and surrounding them with the mystery ground cover only took a few moments and I had this pretty zen looking terrarium which will also function as a centerpiece for our dining table.

Mommy Testers me time with Bigelow vanilla chai tea and a DIY terrarium centerpiece #cbias

Oh, and I realized that it is completely possible to put aside everything you have going on and make ten minutes of time for yourself to actually enjoy that morning beverage and do something that would otherwise get tossed to the side in the name of the greater good of your household.  In my limited experience taking that extra bit of "selfish" time makes me a more patient mother and less likely to jump down her husband's throat over something others might deem petty...so time well spent!


Just so you know, I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias® #CBias #SocialFabric, everything you see is my personal and endlessly picky opinion. So far, no plants were harmed in the making of this post :)
Pin It button on image hover