February 19, 2013

Magna Tiles - Unquestionably the house favorite building toy

Just before Thanksgiving I took Kayla back to New York to see some family and pop in for a few meetings in the city.  Since I wouldn't be bringing her back with me at Christmas my mother (who I get the celebratory gene from) insisted we have Christmas in November.  Okay!  You don't have to twist my arm to do a double holiday.

Magna Tiles magnetic building toy for kids encourages problem solving and open ended play.  They just might be the best magnetic building toy for kids Magnatiles

One very unexpected gift was a set of Magna Tiles from her great aunt which I had seen before, looked at the price and pretty much said I wasn't sure if they would be worth it.  Truth be told, these little magnetic wonders do not come cheap.  

Kayla immediately took to them but was a little frustrated at first as she figured out how to build with them and structure her buildings to stay standing.  I think I helped a little bit the first week, but have been entirely hands off for quite some time.  My expectation was that like most expensive toys she would lose interest fairly quickly.  

Magna Tiles magnetic building toy for kids encourages problem solving and open ended play.  They just might be the best magnetic building toy for kids Magnatiles

However, after waiting nearly four months to see if the Magna Tiles magic touch would fade the answer is a resounding NO.  Their appeal has not faded one little bit, in fact it just continues to grow.  That's right, my little preschooler has been playing with the same toy every single day (I kid you not) for months.  And I'm not talking about 10 minutes here or 15 minutes there, I am talking about HOURS!

What I love about these magnetic building toys is that they provide open ended play and truly challenge Kayla to come up with solutions to issues she encounters along the way.  Tower won't stay up?  It probably needs a more stable foundation and she's quickly learning to build those and not get upset if things come tumbling down.

In hindsight I regret holding off on buying a set of these because I was intimidated by the price.  It is a more expensive toy, but after months of abuse and continuous play Magna Tiles not only hold her attention but also don't show any real signs of wear other than a few faint scratches here and there.  I have no doubt that we'll have these for a very long time. If you can think of someone who might enjoy these you can check out the different sets here we have the clear colors 100 piece set.

Pin It button on image hover