December 28, 2012

Made your snowflakes? How about an adorable snowman?

If you made your snowflakes for Sandy Hook then you might like this little idea of what to do with all of those tiny paper scraps left over. Since Kayla and I used coffee filters for ours we were left with a pile of fluffy white paper that reminded me of shredded coconut on a cupcake.

fluffy snowman, snowflakes for sandy hook, what to do with snowflake trimmings, kids snowman art,


I was about to toss it all in the trash when Kayla asked if we could make a snowman.  Well hello good idea that mom didn't think of.  Those trimmings would make for the perfect fuzzy snow covered snowman!

fluffy snowman, snowflakes for sandy hook, what to do with snowflake trimmings, kids snowman art,

I sent Kayla off on a little scavenger hunt to find 3 objects that would make different sized circles.  We traced them together and then I handed her one of her most favorite things in the world - a bottle of glue while I cut out some construction paper arms, a nose and a top hat for our snowman.  We had some extra googly eyes in our little art box so I gave her those to use for eyes but we could have easily drawn them on or used construction paper.

fluffy snowman, snowflakes for sandy hook, what to do with snowflake trimmings, kids snowman art,

If you don't have colored construction paper in the house (it's one of my few craft staples) then you can just cut out white shapes and color them with crayons or markers.  Kayla filled in the bottom 2 circles of the snowman with glue and I spread it around a bit to make sure it was even enough to have the "snow" stick.

fluffy snowman, snowflakes for sandy hook, what to do with snowflake trimmings, kids snowman art,

After that Kayla sprinkled all the trimmings from our snowflake making all over the glue and we were left with a fuzzy feeling 3D snowman.  I know, nothing revolutionary but a good way to turn one project into two and make a little piece of art to send off to a long distance relative or give to a great neighbor who is sweet to your child.

fluffy snowman, snowflakes for sandy hook, what to do with snowflake trimmings, kids snowman art,

Kayla watched me fill out a fair amount of gift tags  this season so I wasn't surprised to see her write her name first and then a "to" but I was pleasantly surprised to see that she planned to give her snowman to her parents!  It was nice to get a little love and credit especially since Santa has been looking like the hero in our home this week.  
Pin It button on image hover