November 14, 2012

Traveling with a preschooler and keeping it healthy

When I met my husband I lived in New York and he lived in San Diego.  For the next 2.5 years I spent countless hours on an airplane and flew enough  miles to actually go to the moon before taking the plunge and moving to San Diego. These days I still travel a fair amount, but nothing like the pre-Kayla days.  Most of the time I take her with me and I've really gotten the hang of figuring out what to bring on the plane to keep her busy.

mommy testers, airplane toys for a child, what to bring on an airplane for kids #KFHealthyKids

My essentials are a travel version of the Doodle Pro, some Play-Doh, a great set of kid sized headphones and coloring book with stickers.  Not everything that goes into the bag is brand new, but if I plan to bring something I make sure to hide it a couple of weeks before our flight so that when Kayla discovers it in her  backpack it seems new all over again to her.

Where I struggle is making sure that she gets a relatively healthy meal that I know she will eat without an argument mid-flight.  Beyond the inevitably smushed peanut butter sandwich there aren't too many fast and easy options.  I've brought along the quick cooking mac and cheese before, like Annie's organic but even though that's supposed to be the healthier and organic version I don't love the whole powdered cheese packet thing it's got going on.

Kidfresh wagon wheels mac and cheese, #KFHealthyKids, healthy frozen food for kids

Recently I had heard that this company Kidfresh had created some frozen kid's meals that were far healthier than the ones I remembered from my childhood.  Naturally, I was skeptical.  Generally speaking we aren't big frozen food eaters because I tend to associate them with scary ingredients and mystery meat, but I decided I would pick up a couple to try on my next visit to my local Vons store.

Kidfresh meals at Vons Safeway, #KFHealthyKids

While I was shopping at Vons I grabbed a couple of the different versions Kidfresh makes - the Wagon Wheels Mac + Cheese and the Spaghetti Loops Bolognese as well as some snacks for Kayla during the flight like animal crackers and some Buddy Fruits fruit bites.

Kidfresh mac and cheese with hidden veggies, #KFHealthyKids

Back at home I took a closer look and could quickly tell that these meals were thought up by a parent who truly cared what their kids ate.  The mac and cheese is not some reconstituted cheese sauce, it's gasp real grated cheese.  Sold!

Better than that? There are carrots grated into the meal to sneak some veggies in and by now you must know that while I try to encourage Kayla to eat vegetables on her own I love sneaking some extras in where I can.

#KFHealthyKids healthy kids frozen meals, BPA and phthalate free packaging

I was about to take the mac and cheese out of the little bowl it came in for heating because as a paranoid parent I tend to distrust the plastic trays frozen foods come in.  When I flipped the box over I saw this, which was surprising.  The bowl is BPA and phthalate free…impressive!  My take is that if you're going to go out of the way to buy and cook healthy or organic food for your kids, then there is no better way to ruin it than to cook it using pots, pans and plates that are filled with chemicals.

So by now you're probably wondering how the Kidfresh meals tasted.  My answer would be pretty great.  I'm not going to lie, I may have had more than just a couple of bites!   What did Kayla think?  Her personal favorite was the mac and cheese but she also thought the "spaghetti circles" were yummy.

Here's Kayla with her #KFHealthyKids Wagon Wheels Mac + Cheese at 30,000 feet on our way to New York!

Kidfresh meals for airplane travel, #KFHealthyKids, Healthy kids travel meals

Want a coupon for $1 off a Kidfresh meal to give it a try?  You can print one right here.  Want to know  where you can find Kidfresh meals near you?  You can check their store locator.

Just so you know, I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias® and Kidfresh #CBias #SocialFabric #KFHealthyKids everything you see is my personal and very picky opinion.
Pin It button on image hover